Carp bait - Im new to carp fishing whats a good carp bait?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by daredevle, Oct 5, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    im new:embarassed: to carp fishing and i recently saw 2 HUGE:crazy: carp in a pond i fish in so i need some good baits keep in mind these carp are huge:wink:

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Daredevil there is a thread going on with the same question just below yours. I posted a simple recipe on there that might work...

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Corn Tortillas. Let them dry up in the sun a bit and there ya go, carp bait. lol sorry all ya euro carpers.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Canned corn has worked well for me.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Canned sweet corn with a shot of vanilla or my personal favorite, Kix cereal soaked in strawberry soda.

6. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Chris,
    What I use is wheaties, cream corn, and honey. Use a blender to grind up the wheaties or crush by hand, add the cream corn then mix by hand until moist. Add honey (about a table spoon full) until it packs into a dough. If it won't pack add morn corn. Also have added some vanilla extract into the mix. Have caught alot of big carp on this recipe. Try it and let me know how it works for you. rspd507

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    if they are really big they might be grass carp........which i beleive are hard to catch without snagging....

8. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If they are grass carp they will take the normal offering of corn and othe baits, they are just fewer of them and easy to spook. I believe they may eat less often but I have caught them on floating bread, bagels, hair rigged sweetcorn, and flavored corn with grits pack. Only the ones on bread and bagel were targeted, the others just came as a surprise. If they are grass carp and you catch them, take this advice. They will fight harder on the bank than in the water. try to wear them down, and keep them calm on the bank. They will kill or fatally injure themslves flopping around, and if they go out of control you could catch a big tail to the face. I try to keep them on a grassy or padded surface and keep pressure on their head and tail, weigh and release them. If you are by yourself it's best to have scale camera and everything ready before they come to the bank.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I will keep that in mind when I catch a grass carp. Mine all have been common carp i think....lol..

10. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ive have just recently got done making some bait just foolin around i added four cups of folur 3 cups of suger i cup salt to keep sticky and alot of hot coco mix and water added it togeher and got a dough like mixture very strong can shape it like play dough lol do you guys think this will work? if not i already have some of your guys recpies in the fridge made them all today but any way do you think that dough will work?

11. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    A local game warden showed me this:

Rig an egg sinker on a swivel (just like catfishing) and put a number 6 (not 6/0) hook (long shank) with canned sweet corn covering it. Throw it out and leave a little slack in your line. Then when you see it start taking out line, yank and hold on. I caught a 14lber doing this so it works pretty good for me!