Carp as catfish bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by bedweary, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    Hello everybody! Just about time for spring fishing and I am ready for it!
    I catch the occasional carp in the river when I'm catfishing, and was wondering if anyone uses them for bait & what kind of results do you get with'em. Also, how to prep them for catfish bait ( with or without skin, cut in strips or chunks, are the entrails decent bait, are there any species that are off-limits as per regulations, etc.). I've always preferred to use what I can catch for baiting, usually bluegills or other perch, but the perch seem to be hard to come by in this perpetually murky Arkansas river, but the carp are plentiful.

Any and all advice & opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated.
    Thanks. Barry

2. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I catch a lot of cats on cut carp. It is a great cut bait for me, but since I don't fish for them I don't get many. I usually use cut perch or cut shad. I just fillet them and then cut the fillets up in chunks.

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    They even make good live bait.A big flathead can swallow some huge baits.

4. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I have used baby carp as large as 1lb they are exellent flathead bait and they stay alive along time

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never had any luck using cut carp...that doesnt mean its a bad bait tho. I have much better luck using small carp as live bait!

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Over the years I have caught many cats on carp. Asian carp even make decent bait. The Blue in my avitar was caught on cut asian carp. I just cut them into strips and fish different sizes. I think the common carp makes a better bait though.

Tom

7. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Carps and Drums are great cut bait if you can't find any shads.. I always scrape the scales off (it will give more scents), fillet them, and then cut the fillets into about 1" X 2" or 3".

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Baby Carp are excellent flathead bait when you can get them.

9. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I'm not for sure about where your at, but here in Indiana it is illigeal to use carp as bait. It came as a big surprise to me. My grandpa has been using carp for years as bait and didn't believe me until i showed him the regulations. So you might want to double check your local laws. Just my two cents.

10. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I like to filet carp and drum for catfish bait. I've had pretty good luck with both. I hadn't heard about scaling them for more scent, I'll give that a try. Fish on! Doug