Carp as Bait ?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Cherokee, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Does Carp really work as Bait for catfish ?

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Personally I've never used them but have seen others using them.:0a23:

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I use small carp (up to 10-12 inches) as livebait for flatties, but a big blue will eat one too... The best size seems to be from 5-8 inches long.

The bigger ones get cut up into strips up to 1" wide and 3" long for cut bait. I can bait out a 25 hook trotline with a 10# carp.

If I got one that's pretty big, I'll filet it down and remove the strip of meat between the upper and lower halves of the filet because it contains a "mud line" that some folks detest and about a jillion tiny hair-sized bones. The filets are marinated overnight in the refrigerator with teriaki sauce, then slowly smoked on the grill or dried (jerked) in the oven.

Carp has very white meat that has almost no flavor of it's own... but it accepts the flavor of marinades very well.

I think that more folks should try recipes with carp and create a market for those new oriental immigrants that seem to be taking over the rivers...

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have caught carp on trot lines before and cut them up for bait and put them back on the lines and caught fish.

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Carp makes excellent cut bait for blue cat. A commercial fisherman saves them for me. Remove scales, fillet and leave skin on. Cut in chunks the size you want to bait with. Insert the hook thru the skin and meat. The skin is tough and it will stay on the hook in swift water. Buffalo is also good for cut bait.

6. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    I have heard of people useing Buffalo bellies say they stay on your hook well in swift water. Check for them at a fish market bet they will save you some.

7. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    imo nothing beats shad, but we have used both carp and buffalo with good results as well. The idea about going to the fish market is good. Definately a time saver.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sure carp work. I caught a 10lb channel cat a week or so ago on 1/2 a carp.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For those who don't already know, both goldfish and black salties are types of carp.

10. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    If I'm going to the river, and i have a choice, I take carp, shad, skipjack and bluegills. Fish eat fish.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't know about this years fishing regulation booklet prepared by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife but I do know previous editions stated to fish for large flatheads (over 50 pounds) to use a carp of about two pounds for bait. Now, it could just be a devious plan by the Dept of Wildlife to get rid of a few carp in Oklahoma, but I think it had a degree of truthfulness to it.

12. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

State:
    De Soto MO
    I have had luck on carp also Those dang jumping carp seem to do pretty good I've used them live and cut Some days when shad are scarce we'll motor arond behind the dykes to get some to jump in the boat

13. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Now that would be cool,!!!!!!!!!!!!......:smile2:Bait just flies inta the boat..............

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i like to use 6''-8'' carp when i can get em. havent ever caught a monster on em but hey i got the bait.

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    sure they work,suckers do to.make a good cut bait,giver a try and see.

16. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    Yes they work! I have great luck with them live on limb lines

17. mudpup

mudpup New Member

State:
    Wilkes-Barre Pa.
    I use fresh cut carp alot up here in N.E. Pa on the susquehanna river . An yes it definetly works real good. If I have any left through the winter , I also use it through the ice. It seems to have alot of essance in the meat , which seems to last longer in the water.Definetly give it a try.

18. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    if im fishing for flatheads a small carp is awsome bait 3 to 8 inches is what i like to use . just hard to find them around and hardly ever seem to catch one the right size in my throw net.

19. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like to use them in the colder months. It seems to get more bites than shad for us when the water cools.

20. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I've never tried it personally, but I can imagine it works just fine. I can't think of a single body of freshwater in the US where carp don't exist. So they would almost have to be a food source for any & all cats.

J