Carp as bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by DAREWOOD11, Jul 11, 2007.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    WHEN U GUYS SAY U USED CARP FOR CUTBAIT I WAS JUST WONDERIN HOW YOU CUT THE BAIT UP AND WHAT PARTS YOU USE?

THANKS

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    What I do is cut a fillet out of the carp, and cut it into strips about 1" wide by 8" or so long, just whatever you prefer, then I'll cut all the skin off except at the top, where I will leave a small section of skin to put a hook through. Their skin is super tough, and hard to pull off of the hook.

3. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    DOES THE CARP WORK PRETTY GOOD??

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I recently found a pond that is loaded with carp. I saw a few in there that would go 30 to 35 lbs. there is 1000s of them in there from 1 inch long to 12 inches long so I caught around 200 of them and brought them home. they range from little to about 8 inches I threw the larger ones back. I have used them twice now with good results. going to try them for flatheads this weekend. but the blues seem to love them. went out this past sat night and fished all night used cut gizzard shad up to 8 inches long, crappie cut up, cut bream, and live herring and cut herring, and cut perch, live and cut carp. the larger carp I would cut in half and use the heads only. Caught 9 fish total smallest 8 lbs and the largest was 36 lbs, all blues, and all fish was caught on carp. they hit the live and cut. I was kinda shocked at the results myself but I am gonna keep trying it till I get more results.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We use cut asian carp on the Missouri River quite a bit for blues. They work well in the warmer weather and since a small one is 10# and they literally jump in the boat, it's a good deal:big_smile: They work well.