carp as bait

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Vacatfisher, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

i hear alot about ppl using whole carp up to a pound or 2...i never ctch them this small...the ones i catch are 10 plus pounds....can i cut these up into big chunks and freeze them and expect to have some success with them on big blue cats?i fish primarily from shore and bait is hard to come by in the winter..i figure a 20 lb carp will last most of the winter for me if i add in some eels for bait...good idea or no???

2. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    I don't know about carp as cut bait, but I have used live small carp in the past. This was in the Ohio River when I was younger, so I mostly caught flatheads with them. I imagine if you dangled one in front of a big blue and he was hungry he'd hit it.

3. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

yea...i dont think any catfish can resist a struggling fish on a hook...but i catch the carp in a lake and our smalllest to date was 10 pound....never been able to catch the little ones...

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Carp is awesome!!!!!! I caught my biggest Blue Cat (43 lb) on a big peice of cut bait carp. And have caught many other in the 30-40 lb range on carp.
    You have to have big hooks though to put a big peice of carp on your hook. Or you can just cut a fillet off the side of the carp and use that.

good luck :)

5. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

have you ever used frozen carp????well carp that was froze that has been thawed

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Personally I have not tried frozen carp. But it should work esspecialy if its thawed, of course its probaly not as good as fresh carp though.

good luck :)

7. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Something you might want to try if you plan on freezing is soaking it in a Kosher salt and water mixture. This will toughen up the bait and suck some of the water out before you freeze it. I do this with pre-cut squid and chunked menhaden. I've done it with shad before, but I don't like using anything but fresh bait for cats. I would say salt some up and freeze it and see how it does. Hopefully the salt will toughen it up enough to keep it on the hook for a while after being frozen.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have tried alot of cut baits, carp, bluegills, bass, sheaphead, suckers, and shad...The only two baits I do well on is Shad and sucker.

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I've use cut and small whole (6-8inch) frozen Carp for about a year now and have always had good luck. I scale and fillet the larger Carp and freeze one fillet per package. Same with the small whole carp. I've not had any trouble keeping on the hook when I thaw it for use. The skin is extremly tough and stays on the hook well, even when drifting, which is what I do about 90% of the time. With the whole small Carp I thaw just enough to cut and start with the head for bait, then I cut about a half inch thick slice with the rest, usually the gut pocket will stay in till a fish takes it. I keep my bait in a 12 pack cooler with the frozen bottle in the top which keeps the bait pretty well till I use it.

10. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

thanks...guess ill have to try it.ive got some frozen suckers in the freezer...but only enuf for one trip.....ill try them as well as the carp on my next trip

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good luck, let me know how you do! :)

12. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I have fished frozen Mullett at the beach and hate it. It gets really soft really fast and the meat seems to fall off the skin.

Will the same thing happen to the Shad I have in the freezer from last spring? I caught them on the Rappahannock at Fredericksburg.

Jay

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    It depends on how old the shad are when you freeze them. If you freeze them when they are still very fresh than they will be better. Any bait that's frozen though is going to be kinda soft. Also if you use a vaccum packer to freeze them then they should work alot better and not be as soft. At least thats how it is for me. Good luck :)

14. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

add sea salt or kosher salt to a plastic bag...put in your fresh shad or whatever and add enough water to cover them...if you use enough salt they WILL NOT freeze solid and will be much firmer....the bags should have one layer of fish only and barely enuf water to cover them...the slt keeps them from freezing and there is less damage to th cells and the temps are low enuf to stop any spoiling....keeps bait almost as good as fresh caught and way better than reg. frozen

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man i found out years ago how good carp are as cut bait, but they dont seem to out produce anything else unless you put the chunks in a baggie and let em sit in the sun for a day or two. horrible smell but the channels love em. will almost make you puke, and its hard to get the smell off your hands. their skin is so tuff that its almost impossible to get the bait off the hook even after sittin in the sun that long.