Carolina VS Slip Sinker Rig

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mjghunter, Sep 6, 2007.

1. mjghunter

mjghunter New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I like use a 2 hook caroline type rig, but the leaders get wrapped around the main line on the river and the rig is generally a pain in the A-- to set-up even with pre-maid leaders that I just snap on the drop loop off the main line. Usually I leave little slack in the line. The slip sinker rig is alot easier to set-up and cats seem to react to it better by being able to run with the bait, but gets tangled to the point you loose many rigs much more often than the carolina. Just wanted to get everyones thoughts.:wink:

2. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a one hook carolina rig i tie the bottom loop with a regular pull through knot and my top hook I use a dropper loop it works great for me and I can tie one pretty fast. If i'm fishing under brush for flat heads I use a slip sinker so he can run I guess I just think it is more fun that way no real reason. the dropper loop is stronger than the bottom knot that way when I get hung up I usually just lose my wieght not my hook. tou should be able to find it in the boc library

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I used to use the slip rig for flatheads in Arizona on the Colorado river and very if hardly ever had a problem. But, since Ive got back to Indiana and have been fishing the Ohio for blues lately I have went to the Carolina Rig. Its takes alot longer for me to tie it up but i have been getting more bites with the carolina rig with cut bait the the regular slip. I guess its all about where your fishing. I prefer the slip when using live bluegill for flats and the carolina for cut bait.

4. lock52_fisherman

State:
    Illinois
    the knot I use is called the blood bight knot here is an attachment after you get it down it is extremely easy to tie well I can't upload it but here is the web address www.fishingcairnes .com the loop knot is my lower knot

5. mjghunter

mjghunter New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Thats pretty much the same set-up except I add another hook about 18" above the lower hook. The lower hook is tied to a 3-way and I have a 2oz sinker tied to the 3-way with 10lb line. Are you "tight lining" or leaving slack or open bail. I tend to have more hook ups with the slip sinker rigs.

6. lock52_fisherman

State:
    Illinois
    I'm tightlining with an eight ounce sinker and 50lb test when I use the carolina rig. I use 30lb and a four ounce when I'm out of the current more and I'm sliprig fishing

7. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    whats the diff? anyone got any picks of both