Carolina Skiff?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by GMC FishHauler, Mar 18, 2008.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have a line on some Carolina Skiff boats here in Texas and they seem to be willing to cut some deals for me.
    I am debating on the DLX 2480 or the DLV 2380. The salesman and manager of this big boating store says he's had both and the DLV is SLIGHTLY smoother riding.
    I am going to make the drive and do some test runs on the water to see which one i like better.
    Does anyone on here run these boats?
    Whats ur opinion of them?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I do not own one, but know several people who do. Those that have them love them. Very nice boats, no wood to rot and virtually unsinkable (ask the guy I work with who put the bow thru a wave instead of going over it). One thing to keep in mind with these, is that if you drill any holes in the floor seal it with 3M 4200 or 5200 sealant. If you dont, the holes will let water seep into the foam under the fiberglass and it will get heavy. They have to be tough boats, because I've seen a few crabbers around here use them, and those guys are hard on stuff!! They are easy to take care of, with most people just washing them off with a hose.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    thanks for the info,
    I hear alot of the crabbers on the coast here use them too.

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I have been looking online at them. I would love to take a ride in one myself to see how the newer ones ride. If ya find a good deal let us know. may be worth looking into.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I own a 198 DLV. I bought it it in September 2007, and it is equipped with a 90hp Suzuki.

The ride on the DLV is considerably better than the DLX. The DLV is not a deep-V hull by any means, but normal chop is not a problem and there is no where near the chatter and slamming of the DLX.

The DLV actual runs better in heavy chop with more people in it. The extra weight sinks it down a little further and smooths the ride out.

The models you are looking at are big boats. I went with the smaller size since it was easier to park in my driveway, required less horsepower, towed easier, and of course was cheaper.

IF YOU ORDER YOUR BOAT, get them to set the console forward about 18". It will alllow you a lot more room in the cockpit of the boat. The normal factory config does not allow for much room between the seat and the rear deck.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.