Carolina Skiff

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Trophy Hunter, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was thinking about buying a Carolina Skiff 1780. If anyone has one please let me know what you like and don't like about it. I fish the Rappahanock river in VA mostly and when time permits I go to the Mattaponi river. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Great for the rivers, and bays, clammers and small comercial fisherman use them here by preference. Someday when I am ready to scale down to a 18 foot boat it will be a Corolina Skiff more than likely.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That 17 gets real small real fast when you get the gear in it, especially with 2 or more in the boat.

4. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    I have a 1980 and sorry to disagree Mark, but I have PLENTY of room. Maybe 2' longer makes a difference.My skiff is loaded to the gills and still glides in shallower water than my trolling motor can function in.they arenot the top of the line by no means but you get the most bang for your buck! I had bought a bare hull and completely outfitted it myself, so if anybody has any questions...feel free to ask. But to answer the original question, they are very stable,dry,nothing can rot,EASY to wash out and very comfortable if you change the factory layout of the seating a little bit. My avatar shows me standing BESIDE the center console holding a big girl up...think about it, plenty of room,huh?

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    the 19 footer is alot bigger boat then the 17. Its not only 2 feet longer but wider.

6. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The one I am looking at is the 1780. It is 17' 3" and has a 94" beam. They make a 1765 that is 16' 11" and has a 77" beam. The width on the floor for the big one is 80". This would be a huge upgrade from the 17' basstracker I fish now. I also need to be able to garage the boat. With a swingaway tongue I can just make it fit. Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming. Thanks.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been thinking about building one of them. I found a web site that has plans for them from 21 foot to 28 foot and they are real easy to build.

8. madcatter

madcatter New Member

State:
    West Virgina
    If you're interested in a Skiff, you might want to check out ED'S MARINE SUPERSTORE in Ashland. They run monthly sales. If your planning on fishing the lower Rapp. you want to buy as big as you can afford. You will get a smoother and drier ride. I've considered the 24 DLX it's deeper and wider. lol

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've got stitch and glue plans for an 18 foot 7 foot wide Garvey.
    Inexpensive to build the hull and takes alot smaller engine.
    Those flat bottoms pound. I dont care who makes them or builds them.
    Your going to have to slow down in a chop or get beat up pretty good.

Best thing about flatbottoms though is they dont require the horsepower a V does, they draw less water, and are real stable.

10. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Madcatter, thanks for the heads up on Ed's marine. If I get one it would be from there. I had gone to Ed's originally to have a look at them and price it out. They were $3,500 cheaper than I could find anywhere else.

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I build a 18 foot flat bottom years ago, took a few months. First I built the jig assembly, then you build the hull upside down on the jig. Turned out real nice too. Got all the info from several books, lot of fun if you have the time.

12. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    I've heard lots and lots and did I say lots of people urge caution when dealer with Ed's the price is great but the rest of the sale isnt. Be sure to get all details in writing including make, model, year, of all components or you might be surprised!!!!

13. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have heard some of the same, thanks for the info!

14. madcatter

madcatter New Member

State:
    West Virgina
    If you are price shopping Ed's is hard to beat. I've heard that his service isn't the best.Buy it there and have it serviced elsewhere.

15. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    my 1980 is a twin vee or whatever they call 'em it's a little smoother than the common flats and it corners like a jackrabbit.I purchased mine at smith mountain boat and tackle and they told me they would compete w/ eds on price...for the heck of it call scottie there(540-576-2755) and tell him sean farber send ya'

16. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sean, thanks for the phone number and name to drop. When I am ready to buy I will call for sure. You have the "V" series? Do you know how much it drafts?

17. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    Normally outfitted ones draft 6 to 8 inches. My boat probably goes 9"... however it has a Yam. 150,4 batt.,three livewells,80 lb. tacklebox,and more anchors and castnets than I could ever possibly need.

18. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    The Carolina Skiff you are talking about is a rolled edge design. This design gives more room for anglers and gear, but possibly not much storage space. I have a 21ft Kenner roled edge, and people are always amazed at how much space it has compared to boats with an inner liner.

As far as Ed's is concerned, I thought I was buying a current year 6hp outboard for a great price. What I actually got was a two year old model.

Bo

19. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Ed's does have good prices. But there service is terible. I had a list of bad experiences with them starting when I towed the boat home. They just want a sale. they dont want you to come back after the sale period. I could go and on about Ed's. One time they towed my boat back to the storage area an they dragged my skeg across the parking lot. Then tried to tell me that i shouldnt worry about it. The boat wasnt even 2 months old yet. Good luck