Carolina Skiff vs. Sundance Skiff?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by wbtfish, Dec 22, 2007.

1. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just wanted some input on thes Sundance Skiff boats. Left DG yesterday and went a different way to Rt. 10 and drove past a boat dealer that had some Sundance Skiffs for sale. I looked at the 20 ft model. Looks like a nice boat, but did not have drain holes/ scuppers at the transom like the Carolina skiffs. I have been looking at the Carolina Skiff 218 DLX for some time and I really like it. I hear all the time about how rough and wet they are, but I have common sense when it comes to boating and know how to operate a boat in rough water. The DLV model are nice, but catfishing is really messy and the DLV has more nooks and crannys to clean. Anybody got one or the other?

2. Skiff1980

Skiff1980 Member

State:
    VA
    I have the Carolina Skiff 198 DLX and I love it. The boat does ride bad in rough water, but I really don't get all that wet. The ride is the only flaw I can find with the boat. You can load it with gear and still have plenty room to fish.

3. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You got any pictures of that boat? I want to get a 2180 with just the bow and stern decks and build my own side console in it.

4. DanMan

DanMan New Member

State:
    VA
    I looked at the sundance before I bought mine and that's all I did. I didn't care for how it was layed out. My skiff is a 218 dlv and I love it. The ride is much better than a dlx and it's a dry ride. As far as keeping it clean heck it's a catfish boat how clean are you going to be able to keep it anyway.:tounge_out: I've got what they call the large deck up front and short deck in the back. The front deck is nice because of all the storage room it makes. Don't know where you've looked at boats but I got mine from smith mountain boat and tackle and I wouldn't have thought it but I counldn't find anybody to beat there price. Hope this helps got anything else you want to ask I'll try to help.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I order my Sundance straight from the factory in GA and had them to move the center console forward 18", to allow for more fishing room in the rear. Their is nothing fancy about them, they are just a fishing boat. The only spray you will get in a Sundance is if you have a good cross wind. This is true with most any low lying boat. I would have liked a self draining boat, but it does not come with the model I purchased.

6. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info! I haven't even thoght about Smith Mtn. Lake. I'll look them up. I was planning on going thru Ed's Marine, but SML is closer. Thanks again, Berkley

7. Skiff1980

Skiff1980 Member

State:
    VA
    I don't have any pictures but I will try and take some tonight.