Carolina Skiff 238DLV

Discussion in 'Boating' started by CarolinaCatJack, Nov 21, 2008.

1. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I'm looking to get a new boat, and I wanted to throw up a quick thread to see what y'all think.

OK, here's what I've got: a 2009 Carolina Skiff 238DLV with a 2009 Suzuki DF150 four-stroke and a 2009 RKAWV Roadking tandem-axle trailer. I've added a MinnKota 70AP/PD trolling motor and a Humminbird 787C depth finder with GPS (external antenna). I'm also in the middle of configuring my rod holders. The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm going with Driftmasters (made in Manning SC, USA. Only the best....). I've just got to figure out how many, which style, etc etc....

Thanks to my brothers here in South Carolina, I've become a drifting monster, and I've tried to outfit this boat as best as I could going on their suggestions and advice. I just hope it'll turn out to be what I'm dreaming about.....a Catsmacker's Dream, and people will want to fish with me.

Now I know that some of you might be wondering what I'm wanting with a 23ft boat. I'm a big guy (6'3" 305lbs) and I need stretching out room. Plus, with the wife and kids, I'm gonna need a bigger boat, and I've got buddies and they've got "stuff".....I'm gonna need the room. I usually carry 6 or 8 cat rods with me and 2 bait rods, two tackle boxes, and two or three coolers. I know, that's a lot of stuff, but I've slimmed it down a lot. I used to carry more, if you can believe that.... And I've got to have the boat in case the Good Lord decides to smile upon me that day and lets me load the boat with big fish. :smile2:

I'm wondering what you guys think. I can take criticism, but do better with enthusiasm. :wink: Y'all let me know. I'm itchin' to find out what y'alls thoughts are. Thanks in advance.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sounds like a great rig Matt. Get a round rail put around it and the round rail mounts for your rod holders. You cant have too many LOL...I would start with 12 of them, 3 on each side around the back and 3 on each side in the front. You will be able to fish 6 rods that way no matter how your set up, and with the rail mounts you can move them to w/e if needed...Good luck with the new rig....

3. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Well, here's what I'm thinking. I'm leaning toward putting a trolling bar across the back. That way, I can drift six rods out of the back of the boat. And I'm probably gonna get 12 holder bases, and 8 holders. That way I can move the holders around to different locations.

Thanks for the kind words. Y'all keep 'em comin'!

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I just hope it'll turn out to be what I'm dreaming about.....a Catsmacker's Dream, and people will want to fish with me.>

I want to fish with you on your new boat!!! :wink:

Seriously, I think you will be crazy about your new rig! I heard you mention the other day you were getting one, but I thought you were kidding. CONGRATS on a GREAT choice in boats! The four stroke is also an excellent angle to take. Can hardly wait to see it. Looks like you are thinking everything through very well. I'm gonna rep you if it will let me. If I had to guess what your boat's name will be, it would be "Catsmacker" or... "Kittiesmacker".
    Bill in SC

5. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    Sounds like a great rig!
    Congratulations!!!

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Best boat for the money that you can buy. I have a 218DLV with a 115 Suzuki. 80 pound Minn Kota Terova with Auto Pilot,CoPilot and transducer in the motor.I have 12 Scotty flush mount bases and 8 rod holders on mine. It is 2 feet shorter than yours and I can fish 4 BIG men comfortably all day long. Send me your e-mail address and I will put you on something really good about the Carolina Skiffs. You are going to LOVE your skiff! Guaranteed.

7. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sounds like a good rig , lets see the photos

8. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Gotta get the OK from mama before all is said and done....You know how it goes. But believe me, when I DO get it, pics will go up in my albums and you'll see my ugly ass grinnin' from ear to ear... One more question though. I'm planning on drifting out of the boat, like I mentioned before. How many/what size drift socks should I use?

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I know you are going to enjoy the sweet new ride. Exceptional boat. I was looking at a used one pnline at a sweet deal last fall in ocean city but didnt have my money right.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ain't nuthin' wrong with big boats on big water. :0a23:

11. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    My buddy bought the same boat last winter. It is a great boat with lots of room. The only regret he has had is that he didn't go ahead and put the rails all the way to the bow. His rails go from 3 foot in front of the helm to the back. He has six rod holders on each side, but would like to have about four more forward of that. He also got the T-Top, which has kept us dry on more than one occassion. It also has four rod holders on it. The only drawback is that you have to remember that it is there when setting the hook on a monster. You will be impressed with the performance and the ride on this boat. Enjoy!!!!!!!