Carolina rigs.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatHunterSteve, Jul 11, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I have noticed that when I cast a rod that has a Carolina rig on it and a big gill the egg sinkers slide backwards on my line sometimes landing up several feet, some times as much as 7-8 feet away from the bead and swivel. I typically use a 12”-18” leader, a swivel and bead, then 2-4 1oz. egg sinkers. It seems to me that if I want the bait to stay in the structure I am fishing I would want the sinkers to stay close to the bead and swivel. Am I correct in thinking that and is there a way to keep the sinkers from sliding back on the line and yet still allow the line to feed through the sinkers if a fish runs with the rig?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you are using a baitcaster you could try to cast a little bit further but slow or stop the spool before it gets were you want it. idk might work:confused2:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Could it be that the bait is heavier than the sinker and science is takein over.

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    "You blinded me with science", George, that is indeed probably the case.:big_smile:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    BG has it ; )

Try watching the arc on your cast, a bigger arc tends to slide the sinker back more. I also cast past my target and reel in some as soon as the rig lands in the water. I bring in my slack in while it's dropping down.

My only other idea is to put a bobber stop on. Go a few feet above your swivel and put the knot and a bead on. This way you only have a few feet to reel back in. Also a split shot can peg your egg back where you want.

Have a good weekend Steve ; )
    -Jim-

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    george nailed it you said "you're using 4 1oz egg sinkers" so by that rational your bait cannot weigh more than the sinker and more than likely it doesn't weigh more but it presents more drag than the egg sinkers if that makes sense. so you have 3 options switch to a fish finder rig and use a 4oz sinker or get a bigger egg sinker or use a smaller bait. any of these will solve your problem. just for reference here's a picture of both rigs.

Attached Files: