Carolina Rigging

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by NCCatter, Apr 17, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys,
    I have a question for ya'll. When Carolina rigging, do any of you put a float on the leader close to the hook to keep it off the bottom? I feel that it is necessary in both current and no current situations. I have seen 95% of people not use one and catch fish. I just feel like if I don't use a float that the weight of the bait/hook combo will fall to the bottom in no current situations, while in current situations I feel that the current will "pound" the bait onto the bottom, making it harder for fish to pick up. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You better believe it Daniel. Don't fish without one on the leader. I use the pin floats according to the size bait. Keepin it off the bottom is especially beneficial due to a channels and blue cats overbite. I fish all channels and since starting to do it a while ago the hook ups have increased dramatically.

3. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    When using this rig do you have a tri-swivel below the streight swivel and sliding sinker? meaning the rig goes sliding sinker bead streight swivel a little leader then tri swivel side line to bait fish bottom line to float. Besides the over bite it would seem this would be productive for flats also making it more dificult for the baitfish to get in the rocks and snags. I've seen these type of rigs but have not tried them yet. I don't think I've heard of a pin float. Great info guys.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
  5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey