Carolina rig

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IfishFORcatfish, Nov 11, 2006.

1. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    how do you set one up ? like can someone send me an url. i need to see it.... how do you use a bobber to keep your bait of the bottom with it ( carolina rig )

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A Carolina rig is easy. First, slip on an egg sinker. I use 3/4 and 1 oz sinkers most of the time, then put on a bead. The bead helps protect the knot at the swivel from being damaged by the sinker. I don't think its necessary, but its pretty. Then, tie the line to a swivel. Tie a leader on to the other end of the swivel. I use 30 lb test for my leaders most of the time, but mostly catch fish under 10 lbs. Tie the hook to the leader. You've got the Carolina rig...actually called a "fish finder" rig by old timers as it was around a lot longer than from the time the bass boys started calling it a Carolina rig.

Someone else will have to help with the float on a Carolina rig, I don't use one. Also, if fishing with a current, you may want to get some no snag sinkers from Catfish Connection.

3. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    thanks for the help !! :lol: :lol: :cool2: :roll_eyes:

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    this is what we use here on the east coast. i use this rig for catfish on the delaware river and on the surf for stripers and bluefish. you can lengthen the hook leader to suit your conditions. if you wnat to add a float i'd suggest a 2 in slip float that you can peg anywhere from 1-6in from the bait depending on the bait and current. general rule the harder the current the closer to the sinker you want the float. also the closer to the bait the float is means your bait will be higher off the bottom. hope this helps

Attached Files:

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

[​IMG]
    Here is a light weight carolina rig pic. Change the line weights and clip on a flost about 3-6 inches away from your hook big enough to "float" your bait off of the bottm and your done.
    www.yapplefishing.com/images/carolina.jpg

6. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the info. I will try that

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I rig my the same as gadzoooks, expect I put a float on my leader. I also use a three way rig.