Carolina rig

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bluesbrother, Aug 8, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    do any of you use this methode for blues. i do pretty good on hook ups with this style and vmc red circle c hooks.

2. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I use a carolina rig for smaller cats all the time. I usually have a 2 ounce weight, then swivel, next a 3 foot leader, and then a large hook a few nigh crawlers. I like how the leader allows the bait to move freely.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    All I use is a Carolina Rig, 3 ounce slip sinker, at least a 15 inch leader of 50lb mono line, and a 10/0 Khale hook. Works awesome!

4. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    We caught several large (over 25#) blues on carolina rigs. That is all we use for all our catfishing, with 1 - 2 oz egg sinkers and gama octopus circle hooks.

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    what sort of bait do you guys usually use with the carolina rig?

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    ALL types! It is the only rig I will use with Live Bait, and I use cut bait on it also. Shad, Bream, White Perch, Shrimp, the list goes on and on. Carolina Rig works great for me.

7. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Carolina rig with 2-3 oz weight 18-24'' leader and hook of your choice works good..... or the old three way rig works good also. Line to swivel then line 6-12'' to weight and 18-24'' for hook. This is the rig I use for live bream for flatheads. Good luck to ya!

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I prefer to get my bait up off the bottom when drifting lakes or fishing in current. For drifting, I use a foam float near the hook; for river fishing, I use a dropper loop for the hook and a 12 to 18" "leader" for the sinker. Works for me.

9. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I use it all the time also drifting lakes. It works great. Good luck.

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use it when anchored or bank fishing and use a three way when drift fishing with a short line to the sinker.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    thats pretty much the only rig i use for anything over my ul rig... With that i'll just do freelining...

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I may be wrong but I would say the carolina rig is probably the most popular and most used rig. I use other rigs as well but the carolina rig is the one I use the most.

13. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Carolina rig will work just fine for any kinda catfish! :confused2::confused2:

14. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I have allways done fine with a C-rig. When I used to drift lakes I'd do the C-rig and run line thru bait, then pull hook back up to baits mouth-works great every time.

Now on the river I feeel fewer knots are key-1-polomar at hook then tie tag back to stop sinker.

For bouncing river been using the polamar tag for the weight so if snag happens then weight will pull off. I only use 50-80 B-dacron so dont want hard snags. Hooks the most exp. part these days.

15. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    same as bhunt i do that to

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I wonder why it started being called the "Carolina Rig"? Santee,S.C.,Pawleys Island,S.C.,Mobile Bay,Ala.,Naples,Fla.all had people fishing with this rig while "BAIT"fishing in the early 50's.We all used it at times for the same reason that it is used today.It seems with the boom of bass boats and fishing,some bass pros tied a artificial worm on this rig,hollered EUREKA,named it and claimed to have invented it.If you didn;t use a swivel or leader you just used a small split shot to position your slip sinker,just as I do today.Do you reckon that they didn't know any better?peewee-williams

17. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    A fishing guide showed me a trick he used to speed things up when catching lots of eater sized catfish. You make up some trot line type stagings. I use 50lb Berkley Gorilla Braid take a 30 inch length and double it and tie the end together in an overhand knot and then tie another knot mid way. Slip the knottted end thru the swivel below the slider weight. You loop it back thru itself. then you do the samething with the hook. I use a # 6 VMC 4X strong red treble. Using a vee notched tool I punch it to the bottom of a 2 1/2 gal tub of Danny King type bait. I put out two rigs on bottom 50 ft from the boat and I fish with one straight down about 3 cranks off bottom. If a fish swallows the hook I just cut the staging and thread on another. When I am through for the day I remove the end at the swivel and throw the hook staging in the Bait Bucket. This is easy quick and you don't have to handle the stink bait. The punch bait floats a little off bottom. If I want to be sure it is off bottom I may make the staging a little longer and put a small float or Foam popcorn mid way on the staging.

18. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    here is a cool veriation i use for the carolina rig, use a three way swivel on one line put your Khale hook or whatever hook you use and hook your bait fish threw the eye, then on the other line tie on a big treble hook and hook it in the tail, if the fish hits the head it gets one hook and if it hits the tail it gets your treble. i love rigging my bait fish this way.