Carolina Rig?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by dcm, Jul 28, 2009.

1. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    When fishing the river do you prefer Carolina rig to 3 way swivel? If so could you explain?
    I like the Carolina rig much better with one exception. When I hang sinker, if I have it on lighter leader I can simply break it off when using 3 way swivel.

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    when drifting or "bouncing" in the river i use a three way, carolina for still fishing.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use a well kinda a 3 way LOL ! I mainly target channels and eaters so what I USUALLY do is tie a weak not on sinker (bottom) come up the line make a 6 in. loop . push loop thru hook eye .(has to have a fair sized eye for 20lb line:wink: ) Tie a couple knots in the loop .Slide line thru hook eye puul hook pointfirstthru the loop on a 3/0 circle hook . Alot of times when the sinker gets hung I still get my hook back . This keeps the bait up off the bottom and I am not messing with the swivel .

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I've never used this rig. Have a friend that uses it. I would love to try it an enjoy reading about how some set them up many thanks guys an gals.

5. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I use a similar rig. My buddy Vern taught me how. I tie the sinker to the end of the line,(30lb mono) come up the line about 2', then pull the line through the eye of the hook (10/0 king kahle) and loop it over the hook so that it will stay. Then make 3 over hand loops, with the hook at the end, to create a leader, draw up the knot slowly, then your done. It creates a strong three way rig. This rig works drifting or on anchor. Good Luck, Dave

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Much better explanation than I gave reps to ya !

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i like the carolina rig for most of my fishing. however, if im going to fish somewhere and want to fish the bottom. i use a rubber band double backed on a casting sinker. then i ether attach it to the bottom section of my rig or about a foot to 18 inches above my hook kinda like a carolina rig. that way if i get stuck i can break the rubber band and get my swivel and hook back.

if you need a better explanation just message me ill see what i can do to help.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use a carolina rig if there's few to no snags. # way if fishing a lot of structure. My 3 way rig is about 3' of light line tied to the swivel end that the main line is tied to with the sinker on the end. I use 10 to 14" leader for the hook.

9. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I use the loop like was said earlier, especially on my 2- hook jug rigs. Kinda got the loop idea from watching saltwater rigs being made, where it has a weight below and 2 hooks above standing off from the main line. Any way, now I like the idea of the same thing, but with the sinker off a lighter test line or a rubber band, This was a good thread. Time to Go Fish.

10. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Darrell, I use the same set up that Dave was describing. It is easy, quick to set up, less chance of getting snagged and great for fishing the river. By the way, nice to have you on the BOC. Great answers to any question you have!

Linda

11. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    yes what he said:roll_eyes:

12. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    Thanks gang, I appreciate your insight.

13. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use carolina rigs for bass.. barrel swivel for cats cuz without the barrel rig it seems you get hung easier..