carolina rig with spool type reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mactheaxe, Aug 24, 2009.

1. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    ok, so i have been using the carolina righ in my own little way lately. i know its nice and effective with a bait clicker but what about spool types? i understand that its effective because it keeps it on the bottom and the fish can run with it. im more than likely answering my own question, but opinions definitely dont hurt. do you just leave the bale open? flip the switch so it reverses? lemme know what you think. i tend to like a taut line so i see the hit but i know thats not the most effective way to catch a cat. any suggestions?

2. MOCatdaddy

MOCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bait clickers are really just another word for alarm IMO.

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    They make spinning reels with bait alarms too. Look in the reel review section, theres threads in there about it.

Some guys also loosen the drag and then tighten back down to fight the fish.

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I keep the bale close and the drag set about 50%, and thats using circle hooks. Have had good success like this. Once the fish is on and I can have a rough idea of whats on, I'll adjust the drag accordingly.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I fish with the bale closed drag set at 1/3 of the test pound line am using and depending on the size of fish i go from there.

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    When fishing with spinners in salt or fresh water i back off the drag so u can pull line off against it ,an when i get a fish on i readjust it to land it , or try to land it :wink:

7. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    thanks for the input guys. im just havin to deal with the spools until i can afford to get me a real nice baitclicker. i was always told that the smart cats tend to drop the bait immediately if they fee tension and figured id ask