Carolina rig with float question?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LadyValea1, Mar 25, 2007.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16328&d=1159977436

I was reading this post from k boom....and I'm wondering about the middle illustration with the float on it...

My question is...doesn't the float, spook the catfish, cuz its right next to the hook when its deep in water... or should I add another bobber stop so the float doesn't slip all the way to the hook...

Do you get what I'm trying to say? I'm trying to make a carolina rig with a float near the hook to keep the bait of the muddy bottom?
    Thanks

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    This is a common drift rig and the float doesnt spook the catfish.Just peg the float about 6 inches from the hook and you will be good to go.

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive used it alot & see no effect from the float being there. I do not stop the float I let it go all the way to the hook.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The float dont spook the fish. it just keep the bait off the bottom.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It does anything BUT spooked the fish. During the heavy pre-spawn bite I will have many hits on the cork itself. You can see the bristle marks in the cork and the imprint of the mouth. If you get a great pulldown bite, get off 5-6 cranks, and then the fish mysteriously comes off, check your cork and you will probably find bite marks. It has happened to me countless times.

6. gratefuljed13

gratefuljed13 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Wylie, I love your posts, I just got some crappie floats and I'm going to try em today. Does the fact that they're so brightly colored affect the bite?

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Catfish rely mainly on smell as they don't see well. The cork will not spook them. I use a three foot leader and put my cork about eight inches from the bait.
    BB in SC

8. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I've had the same thing happen to me on numerous occasions. Catfish love to grab the float for some reason. It ends up looking like a well used bass lure.

9. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    These work great on our mud bottom lakes here in Texas. You should have no problem with these rigs...