Carolina rig with a float

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by adamant, Jun 3, 2007.

1. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    having problems with the float sinking! using 3 0z of lead which should be enough weight. used the same rig with brother Big George last week and had no problems.
    whats going on

Attached Files:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Your float is just too large. I use a similar rig for drift fishing, using a 2" torpedo shaped crappie float and 1 oz. weight. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16126&d=1159709125
    Usually don't have any problem holding bottom in deep water. Now, if you're fishing heavier current, you will likely need more weight. The shape of your float there isn't quite as streamlined as a crappie float, so maybe if you try a different style and/or size? :smile2:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Good info. Big "G" hooked me up with some of both styles a while back. I like the 2" torpedo(not sure exactly crappie floats best. They work well with less weight but I lose a lot of tackle anyway...:confused2::crazy::big_smile::lol:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The size of the float dictates that ya use a decent size "CHUNK" of cut bait. If the bait is small then the float will actually bring it to the surface if you are fishin free spool or have your drag set real loose. Fishin tite line should correct the problem and still be affective with a circle hook. I use these rigs on a consistant basis with plenty of success. Weight size will not have any impact on keepin the bait down when usein this rig. The size weight will only insure that the bait stays where ya casted it When usein a no roll sinker, wich I luv, you have that potential of the line passin through it and bringin the bait to the surface. This is why ya wanna use a good size chunk of bait in order to prevent this. Are ya followin me? LOL!

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Big G says dont be stingy with the bait:big_smile:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    That or go to a smaller float. I use the 2 and 1 half inch oval cause thats the size I need to accomodate my bait.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I'm followin you. but I'm not sure thats the right thing to do. LOL!!

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    What Big George Said! :lol: