carolina rig vs threeway rig

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 29, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    theres a debate here, i like the threeway rig for one perpose, casting distance, i fish freespool and tightline, a boc bro posted a statment saying, a flathead will drod the bait, on a threeway rig, wen it feels the resistance, does anybody agree with that, he made a good point, it makes sence why he says this but ive also heard they like resistance, what do u bros think?????? now im not talking about, preferance dew to how your fishing, just the bait being droped, we all kno theres places you cant use a threeway, like in logjams,or vice versa, snags, or long casts,the threeway is better, im just talking abou the issiue this bro told me about the bait being dropped due to the weght the cat feels,

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've never used a 3-way rig in my entire life. But I don't understand how a 3-way rig would cast further than a Carolina ...

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    with a carolina your weght dosent fly with the end of the line it hangs back more then slids down to the leader, at least in my case

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer the 3 way rig when fishing live baits for flatheads. I use a 3oz sinker and a King Kahle hook.

I prefer a carolina rig for fishing cutbaits with circle hooks.

When a big flathead takes your bait.....he isn't going to give up that free tasty meal because of a little weight. I dont think the weight makes any difference at all.:eek:oooh:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im on johns side more, i dont think a flatheads going to spit out a gill due to a 3 oz weght maby a 6 or ten

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i do the carolina rig with a slidin sinker, i just don't do the 3-way cause i'm afraid my bait will get wraped around the sinker line

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I don't think a flathead cares about resistance at all. Think about the resistance on a limbline,trotline,jug or even tightlining a rod and reel. All 4 of these prolly have more resistance than a 10 oz sinker and they all are proven to work. Even if your sinker is snagged I don't think a flat cares. I also don't think one rig is better than the other. Both rigs can be used with good results. Like the carolina rig, it is simple, and sometimes simple is better!!
    On casting the carolina. If your sinker is sliding up the line when casting use a heavier one. Your bait is heavier than your sinker.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the info, i still think a threeway will cast better than a carolina rig,but i dont think a 3 way rig will get less hang up than the carolina, unless your drop is long and your fishing deep

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no i dont think they care at all, but that guy broght up his idea and he did make me think and put this thread up

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

IMO.I can cast a sliding rid with a SHORT leader a hell of a lot further than a 3 way rig,it,s a lot less bulkier.:wink:

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well pat, maby i should go back to the carolina, its alot qwicer to rig, ill try it,

12. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If a Flathead wants the bait, he will take it. Just look at all the cats caught on Limblines and trotlines, theres plenty of resistance on those and they still get hooked. I think the only time it may be a problem is fishin on a lake that has a lot of fishing pressure.

13. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fish pretty swift current most of the time. I have never had my lines hung up on each other on a 3-way rig. I think that it works well.

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    If I'm fishing a softer bottom with maybe some woody cover I like Carolinas BUT if I'm fishing around riprap, revetment, cables rebar etc. I use a 3-way. 6-8" of 60 lb mono to my hook and 10-15 lb. mono on my sinker dropper. And when I fish riprap I use a long sinker dropper 3 ft. When a cat hits it he breaks the weight off everytime but if I had strong line for my dropper or the weight on my main line like in a Carolina rig the weight hangs in the rocks and I lose the fish.

I've seen dead fish in the rocks when the river goes down, rig in there mouth and weight hung in the rocks from folks using heavy dropper line.

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I use the carolina rig with No-Rolls, cause I fish structure alot. If I was fishing a flat bottom from a boat or drifting I might think the 3 way would work. The Flatheads eyes are on the top of their head so if you have your bait off the bottom a little you would probably do pretty good. I don't think a Flat head minds the tension. If he runs with it and the weight gets hung up it would probably set the hook for you. Just make sure that the leader that is tied to the weight is lighter than your leader going to your hook so if your weight hangs up you don't lose your rig of fish.

16. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use a 3 way most of the time, and it's always in the current. there is no use to use a different test line on your sinker drop:smile2:....JUST TIE A CUT KNOT IN ABOVE YOUR SINKER............simple cure for a snagged sinker:wink:

bill.

17. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Either way your result is the same right? You lose your sinker to the rocks and reel in the fish.

Only difference

I save the more expensive heavy line (preferrably flurocarbon leader material) for my leaders and the $2.50 Mason brand 12 lb test for losing sinkers with. :wink:

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good points. I was always under the assumption that 3 ways basically was for use in current situations. Also for the bait to flow freely above the bottom due to the current. Plus also to be used in situations like mentioned before in which rock piles are along the bottom and you can use the bottom line as À ligher line or lessor knot to get out of snags in case the sinker happens to get caught and you can still have your fish on the abover leader and come away free for the most part. Other than that I primarily use carolina riggs.

As far as the resistance just like specified earlier I dont think it really matters. If someone happens to have lost bites due to weight I believe 9 times out of ten it was either too small to get the bait in its mouth, or maybe could have been a turtle or something else. If a flatty wants it he wants it and it not shy of weight. Besides if you are using a sliding weight sinkers anyways and resistance is low unless you happen to be tightlining.

B

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like the three way, egg sinkers are to costly i like the weghts you use on a 3 way rig

20. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    to a flathead it's not gona matter the only way i know of it droppin the bait is it only got half of the bait on it's first swallow and was trying to swallow the rest when you set the hook. Iran both rigs for years and each has their purpose but I'll attest to casting farther with a three way rig.