carolina rig vs three way rig for catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Jun 13, 2009.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I been using the three way rig for catfishing lately, but have been catching cats, I have been catching cats on this rig before. I am wondering is the carolina rig a better way to fish for cats? the three way swivels I been buying is not cheap, there's got be a better way.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    R U buying premade rigs if so start making them yourself .either rig is ez to make at home with a little practice,check member's library lot's of info in there

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I use the three way myself, Love it And have caught a bunch of fish on it, if you tie your own they arent to bad money wise, I fish deep water or bottom bounce most of the time and it works good for me , I think, if I was fishing in a faster moving river and not as deep the Carolina Rig would work better, I gess what im saying is they both have there places at different times...:eek:oooh:
    Maybee that made sence.
    Puddle

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I make my own rigs I just a three way swivel to make a three way swivel rig.

5. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    OK, try this, Use a regular swivel and tie the weight and the main line to one end of the swivel and the bait leader to the other end that way you still get the swivel affect from the bait but you dont have to use a three way,:wink:
    Puddle

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I might try or keep using my three way swivels. You know it cost money to fish. :smile2:

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I think this is a good question maybe an even better poll question, I have used both and lately have been using the carolina rig but may go back to the 3-way. The only disadvantage I see with a 3 way is the tangling effect, you have to lob the cast so thing dont get tangled in the air. I alos use a slip bobber on my bait line to keep it off the bottom.

Bill

8. mikesmoff

mikesmoff New Member

State:
    New York
    Do you prefer one or the other depending on the type of cat you're after?

Does a baitrunner feature even come into play when using a three-way, other than preventing your rod from ending up in the drink if you get hit and don't notice it/ are "otherwise engaged"- answering the call of Nature, etc?

I use Fishfinder Rig (aka Carolina rig from what I can tell)with Sinker Slide, Baitrunner reel, three way not since getting Baitrunner but always willing to employ it in right scenario.

Thanks Gents!
    Peace!

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like a sliding rig.Leader anywhere from 4 to 24 inches,usually on the low side.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I only use a 3 way rig if I am fishing in a rocky area, like a spillway for flatheads. I use a very light line, like 2 lb test for the weight. That way I can break it off or the flathead will break it off if it gets hung up. I Carolina rig for everything else.

11. big riggin' younggun

big riggin' younggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sometimes you cant beat a slip sinker set up though

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It depends on the circumstances..If the fish are suspended a lil off of the bottom its better to use the three way..Also if your fishing in a current the three way will give your bait a little better action with the three way rig.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use the clickers on Abu 6000 and 6500C3 baitcaster. I dont have a clicker on my Abu C106 Cardinal Spinning Reel.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive always used the three way, but does it have any affect on the bite or the hookup ratio, i like the three way becose it casts farther, and it prevents hang ups, i might ry the carolina , it might inprove the freespool clicker methed, since the fish wont feel the weght, but i dont know,but i think ill buy some egg sinkers and freespool with the carolina and see if the bait gets taken longer, alot of times ill get zips on my cliker, i wonder if they feel the weght and drop it, good topic you broght up