Carolina rig for Channel Catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by zoneread, May 14, 2009.

1. zoneread

zoneread New Member

State:
    IL
    I have always fished for catfish with a hook on the bottom, or under a bobber with a minnow near a brush pile. However, I also Bass fish a lot. The lake I fish has several submerged islands / humps, and many steep (but not vertical) drops. Could I rig up with a standard Carolina rig baited with a shad, add cast to the top of these breaks and slowly drag it back? Will a Channel cat hit with that much movement, and how slow should I move it? Also, should I use the "brass and glass" that I use to produce noise for Bass? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If it were me I would just use a leadhead jig with a strip of cutbait and work it back slowly letting it sit for a minute each time I move it.

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    sure they'll hit it with movement, thats why many people drift. I am almost exclusive carolina rig guy for my channels. good luck

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The carolina rig works great for channelcats. I'm not sure about the movement though.....Many times when I'm getting a bite and if I pick up the rod and move it slightly....the bite stops.

I have caught channelcats on orange rooster tails with spinners.....but I havent caught them while reeling in cut baits.....I guess anything is possible though.:big_smile:

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    The Carolina Rig is a deadly tactic for any catfish, not just Channels. I wouldn't move it as much as you would in bass fishing though. I would cast it on the top of the drop and let it sit for 5 minutes. If nothing bite, drag it down the drop a little and let it sit another 5 minutes. Continue in that manner until you contact the fish. Then it's just a matter of putting it back at the same depth. :smile2:

No need to use a clicker on your line...the fish will find it.

Good luck.

BTW...Channels will indeed hit a moving bait. Just ask any bass fisherman how many he's caught on spinnerbaits and thought it was a large bass! :crazy:

6. twisted

twisted New Member

ive used nothing but carolina rigs for the past few years. now iam in a spot where its full of snags and trying to figure out a way to modify the carolina rig to work in that area.

good luck dude !

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Don't think bottom up...think top down. Try using a slip float and suspending it just off the bottom...it works and is very effective.

Good luck.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree, a slip float would be the trick:wink:

9. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You can also modify your C-rig by adding a float above the live bait, to keep it suspended and struggling for cover. With live bait you will not need to move either the C-rig, modified C-rig, or a slip float very much. The swimming bait will attract hungry cats!

10. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Isn't a carolina rig basically just a slip-sinker rig? That rig will catch just about anything that swims, if you modify it a little. I use it almost exclusively for channel cats (with 1-4 oz of weight and a #1 - 3/0 hook), and it works great for walleyes (1/8 - 1oz weight, #6 to #4 hook). Walleye guys up here add a few beads and/or a spinner to it and call it a Lindy Rig.

It's a great rig... I use it probably 90% of the time, no matter what I'm fishing for. Change up the hook size, the weight, and the leader length and you have hundreds of different combinations.

11. twisted

twisted New Member

yea i love this rig.lots of potential. just not good in rocky areas.the float down by the the hook trick helps alot though.

12. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If you're in a rocky area, you can use a slinky sinker. Those things are great. They don't get hung up on rocks.

13. zoneread

zoneread New Member

State:
    IL
    Men, thank you for the input, it is much appreciated! Yeah, this is a simple, versatile rig to use. I got to thinking about it because I believe that Cats like live bait, especially if it is wounded and looks like an easy meal. I have never been able to keep shad alive, and it is hard to get really big shiners. I figured that if I drug this SLOWLY down a drop that it could trigger a strike. I know that Channels will hit stationary dead shad, BUT, I think that the larger ones, and Flats go after something live. I envision the C. Rigged shad popping off the bottom, then fluttering seductively back to the bottom. Hopefully it will work, I will find out Sat.

14. twisted

twisted New Member

whats a slinky sinker ?

15. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

It's a small-diameter hollow-core rope, melted shut with a lighter on one end, then filled with lead shot or just split shot. Once there's enough weight, the other end is melted shut and a snap swivel is attached. Parachute cord works great for making these.

They excel at drifting with current through riffles and rocky areas... trout fishermen use them a lot, but there are plenty of applications for the catfisherman. I think Catfish Connection makes a slightly different type, based on the same principle. They simply do not get hung up on rocks... It's amazing how well they work.

16. twisted

twisted New Member

thanks for the tip !