Carolina Rig for a small pond

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jargo1, Jul 28, 2009.

1. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    First, I want to thank everyone for all of the great advice.

I am still very new to catfishing and learning as much as I can. This weekend I will be fishing in a small pond and have some secret-7 on the way.

A Carolina rig was suggested, but I am thinking I may need to use a rig float to keep the bait off the bottom. I am wondering how big of a sinker and float I need. I trout fish alot and most of my tackle is very small, so just wondering what I need to get.

Thanks!

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a big 12" float..Slip rigged..I use about 12 " lead line to a barrel swivel then the cork..12" may be a lil big for small pond fishing but they make different sizes..The ones I use are weighted but if you want some weight to hold the bait down just pinch on a split shot or 2..I put on about a 1/2 ounce on mine..Check out this thread for some good pics of how its done..
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115422&highlight=bobber

3. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks, that is good info.

With using a Carolina rig, will a cat pick up bait directly off the bottom?

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes or you could put a lil clip on float close the the bait to keep it directly off of the bottom..With it being summer time and your fishing a small pond it is more than likely stratified..The oxygen content on the bottom is low to zero so the fish will not be hanging around on the bottom..Heres a good link to explain what I'm talking about on stratifying.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0007.html

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would use a float. You can use a pretty small float with dipbait. Just as long as it will float the whole rig. Not sure how deep the pond is but I would start out fishing 4ft deep then move down in 2 foot increments if you arent getting bites. Or if your using more then one rod set them at different depths untill one gets a bite, then change the other rods to that depth.

6. jargo1

jargo1 New Member

State:
    Virginia

Good info, I will try that too.