Carolina or Three-way?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by GETHOOKED, May 24, 2007.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I have always used a carolina rig when fishing here in az. Both from boat and from shore. But just sitting here reading others posts, I seems smarter maybe to use a three-way swivel rig when in the boat. Any suggestions? WHat do you fellow AZ anglers use?

2. badgmc

badgmc New Member

State:
    Arizona
    getHooked,
    I too have always used the carolina style of rigs. I guess that I am afraid that the cat might feel the extra weight in a three way rig. If the current and/or wind would allow it the three way would get your bait up off the bottom a little.

3. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    For me, it just depends on where I am fishing.

If I am fishing on the river, I prefer a three way if the current is really strong.

When fishing lakes and slower current rivers, I typically use a "slip-sinker" setup, where the line with the bait has free movement, yet the sinker will place the bait at the bottom.

Ryan

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i use the slip sinker rig, or no sinker. less weight, the better i feel.
    gary

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    GARY-when you use no weight, how do you fish that. I mean I understand you just throw the bait out and let it swim, but there has to more than that. maybe certain conditions or spots?!

6. Desrthorn

Desrthorn New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have recently started using a "modified" three-way if there is a lot of stickups or rock on the bottom to get hung up on. I use a regular barrel swivel but I tie a short 6-8" line to my sinker and tie it to the main line end of the swivel. I use lighter line for the sinker (usually 12lb test) so it will break off easy if hung up. This has worked great so far and I am pretty sure it saved me from losing a fish that got hung on a tree until the sinker line broke. Would probably be better to use a three way swivel for this, but I havent had any problems doing it this way.

7. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use a 3 way single drop leader for flatties and carolina for channels.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i fish a local lake here a lot. hardly ever use more than swivel or maybe small split shot. usually nothing but hook. just let it swim. no current though.
    gary

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I use a slip carolina rig.. If I want the bait off the bottom, I will add a small in line float on a longer leader..

* When fishing cut bait, or if I want the live bait on a short leash, I will go straight weight to hook on a slip rig.
    ~A

10. pinkie43

pinkie43 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have been converted to the drop shot method that is popular with bass fishermen. Several things I like about drop shoting with a bobber is.
    1. since the hook is pointed up the fish gets hooked in the upper lip most of the time. Hook is easer to remove.
    2. Very few missed fish.
    3. You don't need to cut your line and lose you hooks.
    4. There is less chance of gilling the fish if you are going to realease them.
    There are several web sight that show how to tie the hook. I use a no. 4 drop shot hook. The sinker depends on the size of bobber.
    good luck.
    Sam

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    no disrespect pinkie, but a #4 size hook wont even penetrate the bait we are talking about. THe drop shot rig you are talking about does work, but maybe a hook size in the range of 6/0 or so maybe better. Just a thought