Carlyle

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bwhupp, Apr 9, 2008.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    What's the story on Carlyle for channels right now? Need to go jugging... have a fish fry scheduled for my father's work and he needs fish.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    About the same as the report from several days ago, and by this weekend should be even more flooding, wich is fine, just make sure ya go to a hi-water ramp, which I think is where you go anyway.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    That's what I was afraid of. Dangit. Need to catch a bunch of eater and really don't want to try and get my butt to Rend. Guess I won't release those big flats and such anymore. LOL

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Actually BW, you put in there at horseshoe and just stay out in the north area, they have been slammin the crap out of nice eat'n channels for a week or better, and on just about every thing for bait.
    Carlyle Lake

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    North end is dangerous for our boat. Don't want to lose the lower unit!

6. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I remember the first time I was north of the tressel on Carlyle Lake. It felt like going into a time warp. This was about 35 years ago when all the dead trees were still standing. The dead trees were so thick you couldn't see farther than a half mile, now the trees are down and a boat is a pinball bouncing off the stumps. It is best to go in the first time, with someone who knows the channels.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ahhhh, just turn North at the river and fallow it up through there you be fine, actually you could set up right at any one of the openings and cast right into the edges, the feed all along the riprap :wink:

8. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Not sure if you were able to go yet, but the north end is not a danger at the current pool elevation. You can pretty much go anywhere without worrying about hitting stumps.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thanks for that update Dale. I never really ventured up in those stump mines.

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Any new reports fellas? I am aching to go jug fishing! Looking to catch some eater channels for a fish fry.

11. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Haven't heard anything first hand. But this made me want to make the drive. http://www.carlylelake.com/reports/index.htm Hopefully, horseshoe will be good to go. Hate to drive all the way out there and not even be able to put in. :tounge_out:

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Going Sunday Dano? Better of the 2 days..LOL!

13. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
  14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes Sir that be it, that creek point will be well under water now, and also there is an old tractor tire setting on that point, wich should be well under water also, but that creek in its self is the one I was telling ya about, have caught some big channel right there at the mouth and up into it also..... I think we are going to head there Sunday, after the rain and cold tomorrow, sunny and "BREEZY" Sunday will work too!

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Randy. heard where the shad are hiding? I really dont want to rely just on my nightcrawlers for fish.

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    talked to a bud just a bit ago and they got some right there in the mouth of that creek and back toward the ramp, that was yesterday evening. you can usually get some right there at the ramp out to that creek, even troll up into the creek a bit if need be, as high as the lake has been/is you will be just fine in that creek. the only other thing I can tell ya is to let the net drop as far down as you can right in the area of the ramp, you should be fine getting some. Good luck tomorrow, they have been catching all ya want to clean all around the rip/rap in that entire area..... and don't over look using small pieces of a crawler to catch ya a dozen gills, they work well also cut up or hole and I always like to scale my gills a little and cut the top fin off. if there is a little current coming out of that creek (and I would bet there is) you really would want to fish up into it, I have caught some mighty nice channel and flaties all the way up to the bridge in that creek when it is full like now. even if you snag a carp, cut that sucker up too!

17. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Yup... Used live shad, whole shad, cut shad, and nightcrawlers on jugs. Fished along the train trussel, down by boulder in the flooded channel there, and in the flooded timber by the creek by horseshoe ramp. Not one bite on 18 jugs. Hope someone elses did better than me... I failed miserabley.

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    wow, really? that stinks, we talked to dan sometime after noon and he was catching them somewhere around that area. thought he said he was using shad? Yo DanO, what you end up with?

19. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I fished right up on the flats above the river bed North of the trussel. I caught a few. I was cheating though. :cool2: I layed the trotline out. I wound up with 5 fish. 11,9,8,7, 2 lbs. The 7 lber had a bunch of funky bumps all over him. His eye looked a bit weird to so I threw him back. I thought about my camera in my pocket about 10 minutes after throwing him back. Wish I would have got pictures to see what you all thought was wrong with him. :confused2:
    I couldn't catch a thing on R&R. I did a bit of trolling and some poking around in the flooding timber for some crappie with no luck. Found all my bait in the creek. Took me a bit of work to get enough.
    Anyways.... It was good to be on the water. And I've already invited some people over for tomorrow to eat my catch from today. :big_smile:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj264/ferrari79/P1010077.jpg

20. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice report thanks...Was there any eggs in the channels and if so are they pretty full...