Carlyle

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mississippi man, May 22, 2009.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I will be spending a few days at carlyle next week. I am trying to plan my trip. Is the water really high in the spillway or the lake? I am assuming yes, where can I launch a boat? Is it worth trying right now, below the dam? Can you launch there? Shad, will I find them in normal spots, or are they hard to get? I am taking my young kids I hope to get some fish with them, maybe get them hooked for life.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well Troy, yes and yes..... LOL. 1st. off, where are you camping at? yes you can launch below spillway at 2 locations, 1 is north of route 50 and other is south or it..... Catfishing is good on the lake, really good at north end... should stay that way most of the year with the high water...... shad are easy by most any of the rip/rap on lake, or the ramps. several launch sites around the lake. Crappie have been descent in the coves, white bass are so-so but should start popping real well any day as the water warms, they are always great fun, and eating..... You know where your gonna be camping at for sure? Haslett is nice ramps are all pretty much new everywhere anyway....

3. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I am staying at hazlet which I am told has some good fishing, I am gonna fish north of the trestle at least once but have been told the whole thing is very shallow and to be careful. I thought I read something about catching shad on little george spinner baits below the dam??? Anyway I am hoping to fish several areas, and get all over the lake, but I do want to catch some too.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    If ya throw a cast net you will have no problem with shad. and YES once you get under the tracks to north DO NOT run over idle or you WILL eat a lower unit, LOL. and several trot lines but most all are pretty well marked with jugs..... Stump every where but the creek lines and old river bed..... no need to snag shad if ya have a cast net.

5. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I was thinking of sticking with my net but found it interesting about fishing for shad. Man I really appreciate the info.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes I can understand that, but in all honesty, I m really thinking that set up was nothing more than a "glorified" way of snagging them shad ;)

7. rivercatjon

rivercatjon New Member

State:
    MI
    well let me just tell ya about those shad at Carlyle...Right now they are hard to come by...I think I might have netted maybe 6 in maybe 30 tosses with a cast net in several differnt places...

Talked to several guy's this past weekend who fished it and most where using leeches...

The shad are there but the water is very muddy right now and they are tricky to find...

Normally pretty easy lake to load up on the shad but I found it pretty hard...We put in at horse shoe ramp across from the sailboat marina and the lake is up abit due to all the rain and it is hiding the stump under water a foot or two but just know they are there and be careful...

I did pull a nice channel out of there about 6-7 lbs...we drifted from the first trustle to the second and not much action...The lake was really busy with all the Memorial day boaters however so possibly they will start letting out a bit more with the expected rain and the memorial day weekend being over...been a tough lake to fish for a little while...

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    All along the rock is always good, just have to sink that net..... Stay at Keysport? Fish are right on the bank right now, as soon as the Sippi drops some down south they will pull the plug on Carlyle that's for sure, right now way up north is the better fishing, speaker Lake, several of the creeks, all the way up to the bridge. The big Flatties should be starting up river right now...... Cox is the place to put in right now if it isn't under water, LOL.

Just for future, when it is up high like now and last year, when yall put in at HS ramp, go up in the creek right there from the mouth to about 20 30 yards in it, always get shad there.......

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I mentioned using the little georges at the spillway . Yes I changed the hook to a number 4 trebble and yes it was more less snagging then . The shad are thick down there by the thousands . We filled a 5 gallon bucket pretty quick . Every once in awhile you hit one of them fat asains . I dont have a throw net and couldnt throw one if I did . So that is how we do it .

If you dont have any luck in the lake . Maybe you can snag :wink:some bait at the spillway

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yea I knowed what ya ment Floyd, works well too........LOL unless ya set the hook to hard and just rip right through them, LOL

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    They was so thick near the wall you just quick reel them and get one almost everytime . I was up there last week catfishing near the bouys and man the asains are thicker then last year . They need to have a snagging carp tourney down there for about 12 hours ..lol

12. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    OHHH I get it snag them. I understand sometimes I have to be hit over the head with a 2x4 to get my attention. Well we fished in some coves :wink: along the rocks and all I can say is my luck is bad. Did get one big channel on skipjack from Henkels and that was all. It was so rainy and very windy over the last few days so we didn't go out a lot but did have some fun. Never made it to the trestle, the lake did not look all that high to me, the spillway was way down from where I saw it last, about a month ago. I had a hard time getting shad matter of fact I tried some places I had gotten it before, with no luck.

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Now that's a long haul all the way from Michigan to Carlyle lake for shad.