carlyle spillway

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfisherman369, Apr 29, 2008.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    the spillway has all 4 gates open and the river is high as ive ever seen . the shad are by the thousands and the asain carp are everywhere besides a few strippers i never seen anything else caught out of it sunday ....oh yeah and gar out the wazoo . i dont think i will go back there was to many idiots there for me to deal with , but if you looking for some shad thats the place get them by the trash can loads with a throw net .

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey thats a nice looking carp that the young man caught, if I was you I would get you a throw net and catch you some of them shad but I dont know if its legal in your area but asian carp is great catfish bait too, I have caught alot of cats on the asian carp.

3. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I believe cast nets are now illegal below the Carlyle Dam. There is too much worry of asian carp being transported to the lake this way. I'd check with the proper authorities before anyone chances a hefty fine.

4. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Yes cast nets are a no no and seems to be the spillway is already worse than it was last year. I didn't see or heard of anyone catching gar last year, the spillway seems to be doomed.:sad2:

5. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Gar in that spillway is nothing new. I've had nights over thr last 25 years where that's all you could catch. Just my 2 cents!

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught many gar there over the years as well. Last year I caught dozens....

7. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I may be fishing below the spillway Saturday. If it is too high, I may hit the main lake at Hazlett Park, have caught flatheads there off the rocks. It is a bit unusual to have gar below the spillway. Do you think they are feeding on small Asian Carp? The gar are usually in the old river channel near the route 50 bridge.

8. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I haven't fished there in a few years, but gar seems to be the only thing I've ever caught there.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Guess its a good thing i didnt get the throw net out , thanks for letting me know . Two jig lures on a line still catch a load of shad :0a19::0a19::0a19:

10. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Maybe I'm showing some of my ignorance here, but I never thought of using tandem jigs to catch shad. That's a good idea when you can't use a throw net.

pretty cool, thanks for the tip.:cool2:

11. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Wow, I never knew that you couldnt use cast nets down there anymore. Does anyone has a link to the regulation that talks about this though? Because this is the first time I have heard of it and there are no signs posted down there. Also just so you know they have a kill order on the Asian Carp at Carlyle, if you catch one you can not release it back into the water alive. That is why as the season goes on you see a bunch of dead Asian Carp along the entire fishing area. But back to fishing at Carlyle Spillway it has been many years since I have caught a decent Catfish out of there, they have all been dinks. I do hook up with some monsterous Asian Carp though while I fish for White Bass/Crappie on a bobber and 2-3 jigs. And I have pulled several gar out of the spillway as well, so they are not uncommon to see getting pulled out of there.

12. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    It's definately "ILLEGAL" to use castnets, shad scoops and sienes from the Hwy 50 bridge to the carlyle dam. I found it in the site specific regs. #(20).

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    rend spillway is the same. its an effort to fight asian carp.

14. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I was there yesterday "trying" to catch white bass...luckily my gal filled the basket. I was a gar slayin sob, first few were snagged, then they actually started biting the jigs until one broke one of my favorite rods. I did hook about 30 or so shad, those were abundant.

I didn't take the catfish gear. There was a bosnian couple that fished for about 5 hours and had 14, one was about 15 pounds. They fished the east side of the river, near the cleaning station.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I would also make sure that there were only 2 jigs under that bobber :wink:, altho a sabiki works pretty well on the shad also.

16. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Where in the regs does it say this about 2 jigs/hooks per line? While white bass fishing I've always used 2, but the IL fishing digest doesn't have anything about this for Carlyle Lake or the tail waters. I assume this means 2 pole and line fishing only?

17. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    If it's not a "2 pole and line only" site specific area, then u r restriced to 50 hooks and u can only have 2 untagged devices. So I would tag your fishing rods to be on the safe side.

18. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    No matter if your fishing a 2 pole limit site or not, I don't think you can have more than 2 hooks per pole. So if your at a site where the 50 hooks are legal, they have to be on 25 poles with poles tagged.

19. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Thats not what the regs. say.
    up to 50 hooks in total may be used legally on devices permitted under a sport fishing license.

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    You could theoretically turn your rod into a trotline as long as it is not in a "2 pole 2 hook limit" body of water.