Carlyle Spillway Log 6.2.07

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by nitronostrils, Jun 3, 2007.

1. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Arrived around 5:30pm on the east side using Sonnys and Loopers, chicken gizzards marinated in garlic. First cast with dip bait within 10 minutes had a hit. I reeled it in to find a cat fingering on the hook, released him. Sat that pole aside and baited gizzard on the other. So waiting about 15 minutes I got a hit on the gizzard, so I thought. I start to reel in I'm thinking dang this fish is nice. How I hooked on to a DEAD carp at the bottom is beyond my thoughts, but I did. Checked the bait and recasted, also rebaited the Loopers. Next two rechecks resulted in snags, loosing two catfish rigs, Loopers treble, regular treble. I then re-rigged using a catfish rig/Loopers on one, and what I call the "dangling method" about 12" off the bottom on the other. Recast, waited, rechecked the Loopers, needless to say yet another snag. Lost another Loopers, packed up and chilled out in the truck. Moved to the west side about 8PM, left about 1215am, catching nothing.

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    hey jeremey try useing a break away rig. Tie a swivel to the end of your line. Then tie on a lighter line and your sinker. Tie the baited hook about 2 ft up from the sinker. When you get a hit and set the hook you will break the lite line and bring in the fish. When you need to reel in you will lose the sinker but not your rig. Hope this helps.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremy sound like you were fishing in a good spot for cats. Tim has given you some good advice. I also wanted to mention that you better get some more Looper rigs on order. When fishing dip baits, Looper rigs is the way to go.:big_smile:

4. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Thanks for the advise Bearcat, I'll try that out. Mickey I park the semi basically right across from Catfish Connection, so I'll swing by there after I get off work Monday:big_smile:. I agree with you Loopy rigs have my vote, even after I've only used it one night.

5. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I've lost rigs to snags alot until I started using lighter line on the drop for the sinker it does help.
    But I do get alot of repeat business that way, cause they don't wear out all that easy. :lol:
    Loop

6. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Tell you what Loop, I'm glad that I found BOC. I've had better fishing since using the rig. True on the repeat customer went to CC and let's say I'm well stocked now.