Carlyle Spillway in Illinois

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by catfisherman369, May 19, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have been to the spillway many times and have caught fish . For the life of me I can not seem to hook up anything over 4 or 5 pounds besides asain carp when reeling in . I have used shad cut and hole , small carp cut and hole , blue gills cut and hole , also have used shrimp , stink bait , worms , eel and skip jack . I have tried carolina rigs , floats and have tried the weight on bottom . Yet I never get jack squat . I have swore not to go back .

Tell me what I am doing wrong I am all ears .

2. pitbull1078

pitbull1078 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I never catch anything over that size either. I did catch a nice spoonbill out of there a couple years ago in the middle of the night. I dunno what we are doing but it looks like the same thing :eek:oooh:

3. FishinGirl

FishinGirl New Member

State:
    S.IL
    First post...thanks for all the info I've soaked up so far!

We were just at the spillway last weekend. Honey bought me a new pole and I landed my first ever "big" fish--a 9lb channel cat. Far cry from the baby blue gills! We were using cut shad and guts. Not huge by any means, but a huge thrill for this newbie :)

Gena

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the b.o.c. and conrats on a nice fish . Thats better then I do there for sure .

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I caught some teenage Blues there last yr. biggest being 15lbs and some nice channels this yr.. all on cut shad.. I got skunked there a couple times as well... Only time i really go there is when the rivers are flooded and my kids wanta go fishing...

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    go , use live gills, down river, the carp are to thik and the cats are not there like they were five years back, try way down, or go back to the south side of the brideg nt a big place for blues, alugh they are in threre, theres alot of flathead, aways down from the spillway