Carlyle Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Scaley Cat, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone know the condition of the spillway below Carlyle? I plan on coming over Saturday the 26th but need to know if I can launch the boat.

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Haven't been out there in awhile... can't tell ya, sorry. I know launching at that area by Keysport was brutal before the winter. Tore the crap out of the prop blade as a result.

3. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    That ain't good. I plan to walleye fish in the spillway. I hope the old river bed isn't frozen.

4. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I hear the water is way up. I guess there was snow or rain up north somewhere. Water is flowing half bank between Shelbyville and Carlyle. Carlyle spillway info is hearsay from a fellow worker who lives in Carlyle. Report was received today, Fairly reliable source.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Kaskaskia River at Carlyle Lake, IL (Tailwater)
    (Central Time Zone)
    [​IMG]
    Should be bank full and swift according to the latest graph, I would say if its gonna be hard fishing it would be from High water! LOL haven't herd that in a while eh?, lol

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Last Update was: 01/16/08
    If Mama says so, it's so. She tells it like it is.
    Here's what Mama says:

Fair

Crappie: There are a few crappie being caught, but crappie fishing has been pretty slow. Minnows and tube jigs are good baits to use.
    Good

Catfish: The catfishing has been hit and miss lately. The best time to fish for them is early in the morning or late in the evening. Good areas have been Coles Creek, Boulder and the rocks near Hazlet. Some are being caught from the spillway as well.
    Fair

White Bass: There are some white bass being caught, but they are pretty deep. Minnows, curly-tail jigs, Rooster Tails and Road Runners are good baits to use.
    Good

Walleye/Sauger: Sauger fishing in the spillway between the dam and the suspension bridge has been pretty good lately. Curly tail jigs tipped with Mama's minnows is a good bait to use.
    Fair

Bluegill: A few bluegill are being caught on wax worms and on crickets.Fair
    Carp, Buffalo & Drum: Fish for them in the spillway with night crawlers or dough baits.