Carlyle Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bwhupp, Jul 12, 2007.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Just a little FYI...

I heard that the area is being overran with snakes around the area. So much that apparently the Walmart that is being constructed got put on a halt due to the snake problem!

Nothing worse than getting bitten by a bad snake on a fishing trip... If you are heading out there, be mindful Bros!

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    There is a type of miniature rattlesnake around Carlyle that is a protected species. I don't think the snake can inflict much damage, and it is a fine if you are caught killing one.

3. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    there is a rattle snake there they turned loose and it is called the Pigmy rattle snake. Had a friend find a few of them a few years back while dove hunting there. do not know if the bite is a bad one or not but they will strick at you if starttled or provoved.

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I honestly do not even know what venomous snakes are even around here really... copperhead and pygmy rattler.. thats about it, right?

5. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    the main snake to watch for at carlyle is the massasauga rattle snake. its protected. cotton mouth hatched out over a month ago, so they have calmed down a bit. the snake that got wal-mart construction stopped where massasauga. a local store owner paid kids to catch them and place them on the site to stop construction. he has since been caught and fined heavily because in transport one of the snakes(was microchipped) died.
    in the 20 years i've been fishing and hunting carlyle i've seen plenty of cotton mouth, but only one rattler. as long as you keep aware of your surroundings, the threat is minimal.