Carlyle Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Wyocatman, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Anyone ever bank fish at Eldon Hazlett park on the west/northwest side of the lake? My boss says there are some great areas up there.

Dru

Are ther any topo maps of the lake online?

Dru

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    We've been holding most of the Catstock Gatherings at Hazlett. One of the reasons we have not had it there for the last two years is the lack of catfish caught. Of course, weird park reservation system was the final straw in why we moved. Topo maps can be found at most any bait shops around there. Not sure if there is one online. The lake is divided into two parts, the north side, above the railroad trestle, and the south, main lake. Hazlett is located on the south west side, not the northwest. Below the dam has been a consistent producer, as well as the entire north side. That however is mostly timber and can be hard to fish if you are not familiar with the lake. The entire lake is very shallow, 4-7 ft over the vast majority. In the main lake, the best fishing appears to be near the islands or main channel. When water is high, fish can be extremely hard to find. When low, it can be quite scary for boats. Flathead are mostly only found in the north section, with 25 lb not uncommon. A few blues can be found in the deepest water near the dam. Channels are found over the entire lake.

3. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    When I camp at carlyle I camp there. I catch a lot of fish in the coves there at night time I went last may and caught about ten one evening and turned them all loose. It was a whole lot of fun! I know of some people who catch a lot there but they run trot lines all night. I was using shad I got off the ramp there close to the sight over by the cottages. Seems like everyone always talks good about the train tracks and that end of the lake or below the dam. I was wondering if anyone fishes cole's creek (think that is the name of it)?

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've never fished Hazlett before. I don't have a lot of experience on the lake, but I've heard the best fishing is north of the trestle (very shallow and stumpy) along the old river channel (the west side of the lake). I usually fish the spillway, but I have caught some nice cats in May floating shad along the riprap at Boulder.

5. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I might go down there soon below the dam, I will probably take the boat down there is the water high or low? Should I bank fish instead, to get as close to the dam as possible?

6. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Troy, the water is low

BIGCAT GarryEads

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    The water is way down, probably at least 10 feet since the last time I was down there. But the Chain of Rocks was at least 20 feet up, the sandbar I always fish on was completly under water and the water was all the way up to just below the parking lot! The Cats werent biting for crap on shad yesterday below the dam, and little nips here and there on worms but nothing caught. We fished there for about 4 hours before we left to go home at 10pm. I managed to pull in a 16.5lb Bighead Carp down there when I was fishing for crappie on 8lb test line. He put up one heck of a fight, and I love the pull that they have. Now I just need to finally catch a Catfish bigger than 10lbs!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/gringoloco13/Bigheadcarp16-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/gringoloco13/Bigheadcarp16-1.jpg

8. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    A co-worker told me that people are lined up right now shoulder to shoulder to fish. He said the bass are running.

9. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hazlet is good for cats mainly after dark along the rocks or in the shallow coves. Fresh shad, or sonnie's will ussually be the best bait.
    even with as low as the lake is right now we've been cating our fair share of channels out of hazlet from the bank, or just past the first trestle on the east side of the lake.
    pulled a pair of 15lb flats out of the spillway last sunday bout half way between the dam and the swinging bridge on shad but with the water so low the carp kept gettin tangled in the lines.

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Fished Allen Branch today and didn't catch anything. Talked to a lot of fishermen and nobody was having any luck. Tried the spillway for an hour this afternoon and caught a 2# carp, nothing else :sad2:

11. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    thanks for the info

12. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    BTW - the spillway was low with only one gate open. The rocks down by the swinging bridge were completely exposed, all the way across the river.