Carlyle Lake, white bass

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishnfwl, Sep 19, 2007.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hey ya'll the white bass are going good and strong all over the lake, in the rip/rap, and along the clay flats, been tearing up white jigs and small crankbaits! So if any of ya are into them they are in full cooperation right now.

2. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Most of the summer has been dynamite for white bass on Carlyle Lake. I'm surprised they are still running as well as they still are.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Never tried fishing for white bass. I should try it sometime because I can't any other kind of bass. :big_smile:

4. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    The bass fisherman I know catch alot of bass out of Carlyle Lake. I've caught quite a few while crappie fishing, but never tried specifically for large mouth bass.

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Fished twice for bass out there to get skunked. I am used to it. :wink:

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Todays run on the rocks, not much to it Brian, just a little finess and a couple small rigs, go toss out the jugs fish wites will they soak then go check'm and do it all over again..LOL Bigger ones were took a bit of coxing today but they were hungery also.
    [​IMG]

7. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Seeing those pictures makes me want to load the boat and go.

:big_smile:

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Nice fish! Thanks for the pic. I'd definitely like to try the whites sometime (if I can pull myself away from catfishing!).

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    What kind of jigs are best?

10. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I usually run two jigs per line. 3"-4" twister tails, white and chartreuse.

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    OKay.. So I never done this really. LOL

Just the regular single tail grub would be good? I know I have some Yomomoto Hula Grubs with Skirts. They have a single tail and the skirt is above. I know I have shad color and tomato red... might have a chartreuse color as well.

[​IMG]

They look like those. I have used those with a splitshot on the line and used splitshot hooks for them as well. They ideal for white bass?

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hey randy,

Were you using any trailers off of the spinner bait? Or just skirted? I am assuming to try and keep the baits small sized for their mouths... they appear to be small and can't handle larger lures.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Brian, we were using smaller jigs between 1/16-1/8 with 3/4" to 1" bodies, the bigger ones were a little more picky that day, also the spinners were in-line spinners like a rooster tail type, I make most of my own but like a rooster tail type, I would have to suggest to just pick yourself up a few cheap packs of some different size jig heads, and look for the live-bait type, they do not have the lead collar on them, that just splits out the body and ruins them faster IMO, and yes a lot of folk put 2 jigs on the line I see no reason for it, when they are hitting the small slower falling jigs one is all you need, and just be prepared for snags and reties because they were holding very tight to the rock, so a few lost jigs is going to be inevitable :wink: The way the bigger fish have been hitting, just remember to fish as slow as you can with out snaggin every time and also, they were softmouthing it, the hit felt like a slight tap on the line or just felt the line "load" up a bit or feel heavy, then set the hook!

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well Brian, how did you and yer Pop do this morning? We left about 1:30ish, to many dumbarses on the lake today. Watched one moron and his Big ol ocean liner boat about swamp a bass boat under the 1st passage, until he got about 50 yards out on the other side and realized all them black dots were stumps! :smile2::smile2::smile2: not sure if he hurt anything but it didn't sound real good! must have been running 40+ under the trussell! We caught enough for the day and one 4-5# channel on my jig and UL with 4# xl, thought I had a hog white on for a sec, he was fun for about 20 minutes...LOL!
    [​IMG]

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    awesome catch... we pulled in 12 channels.. biggest 5.5lb.. that's about it

16. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Brian - were you using rod and reel or jugs?

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Wow, thats great Brian, geuss you and "the old man" LOL, did pretty good. I know it was just a quick howdy at the ramp but yer pop seems to be a pretty cool fella.

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    We jugged out there by the islands. The big island... we didn't get anything forever. No fish bites, moved couple of times all morning. We didn't get our first fish until about 1.5 hours later... about 9:00 or so. From 9:30-11:30 we caught all the fish. Was weird... like a light switch. They suddenly were popping all the jugs and chasing down 2 or 3 at a time for those two hours. After 11:30, not a thing.

Aaron and I might try to white bass fish.. but i don't know what I am doing. I bought some small white single tail grubs and a couple of rooster tails to try... maybe we will get lucky and catch a couple. I can see us getting mad after 20 minutes and no fish and going back to jugging or something. LOL

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nothing to it, YOU CAN DO IT!, LOL yea well when y'all goin, we are going to hit it again either in the a.m. or wednesday or both..lol. All I can tell ya is what has been working lately, just start down the rock keep yer boat back about 5-10 yards, just so ya can pitch that little jig right up to the water line and just start working it back to ya, some have been smashing it, so you will know its a hit, and some have been awful soft on the bite or they are hitting it as you let it fall, so, saying that, if ya feel your line get a bit heavy set the hook, or watch your line and if it jumps, or moves one side or the other or toward ya, set the hook..LOL! you two will have a cooler full in no time! Hey like I said may see ya there if'n you go during the week. or if someone wants to go get a few (or try) just drop a line, we can work something out.
    By the way Brian, as yawl go along the rock tot he east, look for the old Xmas tree, and the red Granite rock, LOL, there is a nice little shelf there that runs about 40' down the bank and always holds some nice 12-16"rs! :wink:

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Hrm... not sure where that is Randy.. the christmas tree and such. Is it along the railroad tracks train trussel thingie ma-doodle? And if so.. is it in the tree *@*# side or the 'safe' side?