Carlyle Lake was good to us.

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Duckpoor, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Got back from 10 days at Carlyle Sunday.
    It was Good !
    Channels were good quality fish that gave up at the rate of 4 dandies per hour.
    Many cookie cutter 2 1/2 to 3 pounders some in the 5-6 and a 7.5 and and 8 .
    19 quarts will make a lot of smiles this fall and winter.

Drifting Cut shad was the most productive . Humps west of Coles Creek around the silo seemed to be where they were as soon as the sun shined enough to move the shad up.

Never saw such healthy heavy fish.
    Biggest mess I saw was 42 in 4 hours for three guys west of the third tressel North of the Island. Had some.. honest 10 pounders and most cookie cutters with some in between.
    Good when we left . someone needs to be after them. Sure hated to leave them.

R Green

2. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Great report...i wish i can get into some of that action!!!

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    thanks for the report. sounds like some good fishing and welcome to the BOC.

4. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First off Welcome to the BOC Brother and Thank you for the report...I hope to go down there for a day or so real soon...Looking to get into some of those...:big_smile:

5. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Ron , Welcome to the BOC.

BIGCAT GarryEads

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That sounds great! glad to hear ya got into some nice fish.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ron Welcome to the BOC. A special thanks for sharing your fishing trip with the BOC. There is a lot of Illinois fisherman wanting to give that lake a try. You just simplified their trip. That is what we are all about. Thanks.:big_smile::0a25::0a23:

8. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Well here goes, Went to Carlyle lake on 8/11/07 . We started out getting shad by the sailboat marina at Boulder camp grounds. They were 4-5"ers, a little big , but we used them any way. We got about 2 gallon of them,and then iced them down.We started out by going down by Salem pump station. There is a hump that comes up into 3 ft. of water, surrounded by 8-10 ft. of water. I tried drifting it three or four times we caught three or four white bass off of it, and one dinky catfish. We went out in 7-8 ft. of water, and were drifting south to north towards Boulder Marina. We picked up one or two in 7 ft. of water, they weighed two to three lbs. apiece. So we picked up and went out into 9-10 ft. of water. Within the first 300 ft. we had already caught 6. They weighed four to six lbs. So we continued to drift in 9-10 ft. of water. That seemed to be the magic depth that they wanted. About dark we went over by the train trussles, and got set up for white bass fishing that night. We had our lights out, and I have not ever seen so many shad coming through at one time. If you looked down toward the water, there were so many shad coming through towards us, that you could not see the water for them. At one point in time, there was another boat fishing at the train trussle with us. The man and his son had tied up under the train tracks. He looked to be about 40 and his son looked about 6. They were having a ball. The little boy finally got tired of fishing, and started playing with his minnow dip net. They next thing I knew, I heard him squeal, I got one. And I looked over at him to see what he had. He had taken the dip net and was catching shad in it. That's how many was coming through the trussle. We did end up catching some white bass on cut shad 4-5 ft. deep. All in all not a bad night. We ended up with three gallon ice cream buckets full of fillet. I hope this helps you with where to go . P.S. I tried both silos with very little luck.

BIGCAT GarryEads:wink:

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Good to hear, sounds about right on the shad at night LOL, last time we seen them like that the freezer was supplied with bait for a while! :big_smile: Think I am gonna go try up river a bit maybe put in there @ the newe and improved ramp up river....:eek:oooh:

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the report, BIGCAT. Once things slow down a little, I'd love to try the trussels at night.

11. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the update Garry,
    Nice to hear you had a good fishing trip and thanks for the tips friend...I think BWHUPP and myself are going to give it a go on wends...

12. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am ready when things cool down a bit Aaron...Hope we can giver a go again bud...Hopefully it won't be to miserable for me and Brian on Wend...

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Gary for sharing your fishing trip. Sounds like you had a good one. Don't overdo it in this sun. Good luck on your next trip.:cool2::smile2:

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks, buddy. I sure hope you and Brian tear 'em up on Wednesday. He's a good guy, so warn him before you pass him that garlic shrimp :smile2::wink:

15. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    OK will do buddy...I am getting some jugs ready as we speak...Going to try and put some fish in the freezer...I hope...