Carlyle Lake Spillwat/Dam

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Im headed to Carlyle this weekend and fishing the dam for a good stringer full of eaters and maybe some big fish on my other pole:wink:. I did pretty good last time i went but i was snagging not knowing it was illegal lol:smile2: sorry if that affends people i honestly didnt know it was. Anyway i was wondring if anyone knows if fishing farther downstreem from the part that spills water in is better or if closer is better...Im gonna have one pole rigged with liver(i.e. the eater catfish pole) and one with cut bait(ie the big catfish pole). Anyone know what kinda cutbait they are hitting good right now? carp, shad, bluegill, or what have you let me know if you fish there often and have had some good luck. Thanks in advance

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    They seem to switch bait choices daily . I would try a few different baits

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    If you can catch an eel up there , that is great cat bait .

4. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    not much exsperience in catching eels...but im prolly gonna take quite a few baits like you said id rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it
    :cool2:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Not familiar with the area but wishing you the best of luck!

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've been fishing the spillway for about 20 years. Human nature (and other fishermen) led me to believe that the best fishing is ALWAYS right up against the dam. Most of the time, this has not been the case for me. In the winter and early spring, yes, I do better right against the dam. Incidentally, this is when I am most likely one of the few fishermen there. During much of the spring, summer, and fall, people like to jam up as close as they can to the dam, standing on top of each other and constantly hanging up lines with other anglers.

As far as specific spots, it varies. Some days I have my best luck right off the rocks and other times out in the middle. Sometimes on bottom, sometimes suspended under a float. As for baits, keep it simple. This is a very heavily fished area and fish tend to be wary. Live/cut natural bait is by far your best bet. But be ready to catch your share of gar and drum here. Also be ready to move. After 20 min of no activity, move up or downstream a few hundred yards.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  7. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've never had a ton of luck at the Carlyle spillway but I know there's good fish in there. I've always been turned off by the crowds and the inconsiderateness of some. I do like the fact that you never know what you might catch in there and that makes it interesting to me! Let us know how you do!

8. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    yea that trip may just be postponed till sunday or maybe even next weekend ill let you know when i do finally go though

9. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bummer...... My Friday trip to the Kaskaskia got postponed as well.... I hate when that happens.

10. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    well its postponed because the person im going withs car is broken down...hes gotta replace the fuel pump and then wait for a day off again cus he has to work till next weekend. i ended up getting dropped off at the kakaskia and did pretty bad but caught one fish haha

11. zac

zac New Member

State:
    peoria area illinois
    i have heard of people catfishing there

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    haha yeah i heard they used too:wink:

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member