Carlyle Lake - Productive Night

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by nitronostrils, Jul 8, 2007.

1. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Stayed all night at Carlyle Spillway along with my brother, slowly converting him into a cat man. If you notice that that cat on the left has no right eye. There's eye socket there but I guess just didn't develop, but dang he did have some nice fillets. One a more serious note I'm asking BOC if I took the correct measures on a issue I ran into last night. It goes like this, we were on the west side of the spillway with ample room for spacing in between people. Well a group of about 7 shows up and set up to our right going for carp/drum. Before they showed up I was casting down stream at about 50 degree angle. At first they kept a nice distance between us, then they started to squeeze us out, I mean they had basically the rest of the bank all the way to the suspension bridge if they wanted it. Anyways one of them casted over my line, I think ok mistake so I reel in, bait up, recast about 25 degree angle. Well he checked his bait and all be he did it again. This happened about 4 more times. I finally walked over and asked them to quit casting over my line because everytime we snag each other. Being of asian culture I think there was a language barrier and he just shruggs at me. This goes another 3 line crossings, by this time I'm irritated and pick up my spare rod and cast over 4 of thier lines and reel them. I'm sorry I tried asking but to no avail, to me sometimes a guy has to do what he has to do to protect his space. Did I handle this correctly? But all in all good night, taught brother some new things. Just hated for him to see how disrespectful some people are when trying to relax. Thanks for reading.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/NitroNostrils/cats-1.jpg?t=1183931662

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Diversity comes to mind here. Maybe their culture it is polite to fish shoulder to shoulder. I dont see where you was in any wrong doing at all.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Nice catch! Unfortunately, that type of behavior is common at the spillway. A couple of years ago a buddy of mine complained to a game warden about it. While describing them, he said that they were Asian. He was then called a racist and that there was nothing that could be done. I'm sure that a conservation officer would have a field day checking licenses below the dam. I guarantee that a large number of "fishermen" do not have a license.:angry:

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    almost forgot, welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet

5. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Wolfman come to think about it it was like that when I was stationed over in Asia. 100 people on a 65 capacity bus. Point taken.

Alands94 since they were in hearing range I recall them saying 5-0 down the line and a couple of them scattering up to the parking lot.

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    "Being of asian culture I think there was a language barrier and he just shruggs at me." Reading that sentence...seems that your implying that just because someone is Asian, there will be a language barrier.I`m Asian and i speak and understand perfect English.I think it would be better if it was written "I dont think he understood what i said or he does`nt care".

Anyhow...it is a shame there are people that dont care about personal space while fishing.I dont understand how people can fish within 20ft from each other especially if there is a current.I think you handled it correctly...the only thing is that i would of warned them the 2nd time,then cast over there lines after the 3rd.

7. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Hey, I hate to say it but ,every time I have seen them go fishing below the Dam .Its the same every time ,just like you said.You look up and they're on top of you. I wonder if they would like to play tag with a baseball bat.Boom your IT......HEE! HEE!

BIGCAT GarryEads

8. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Vegas point taken, but I was once married to an Asian and that barrier was in full force when she didn't want to hear people out. Also resided in L.A. for awhile working in the towing industry, it was amazing how quickly I got paid when I stated that the car would going to the tow yard.

9. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

Dont make this a race thing! Way too much of that crap now days. He though they were foreing to our country (asian) so he didnt think they understood him. Pretty cut and dry to me.

10. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Did you read the sentence thoroughly?I`m not the one that brought up a race here.He already said "point taken".There is no point in "beating a dead horse"...

11. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You point the finger by saying

He was in no way 'implying' that all Asians have an inherent language barrier. He was stating the FACT that this particular asian didnt understand what he was saying.

You just pulled the race card in the BOC. Shame on you. Everyone is equal here.

12. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    "Being of Asian culture"...what in the world is that suppose to mean???Explain to me what is the Asian culture that is being refered to?Last time i checked...there are alot of different cultures in Asia.There`s Filipino, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, Cambodian, Laosian...thats just to name a few.All our cultures are different.If the person/people didnt understand what he was saying..."being of Asian culture" should of not been in the sentence.Or like you said..."He was stating the FACT that this particular asian didnt understand what he was saying." Cultures has nothing to do with him not understanding or ignoring what he said.

I was`nt implying that nitronostrils is racist...i would be very very surprised if he was since his x-wife was Asian.All i stated was that the words he chose in his sentence,should of been different...Thats it!Period!Like he said...and i`m gonna quote it again "point taken".Let it go...If you want to talk about this some more...just pm me,i dont like cluttering up and hi -jacking the thread.Sorry about this nitronostril.

13. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't think it was wrong. I might not have been so nice myself :)

14. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    geez! Asian descent, Asian culture? Are you serious?

15. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    God forbid if this group ever go deer or fowl hunting. They might end up trying to stack 5-6 deer stands on one tree.

16. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    ^^^^That`d be a sight to see :smile2:

17. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used to fish below the Rend Lake spillway and had the same problem with all kinds of people. I dont think its an Asian thing, its just a rude thing. Just my two cents.

18. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For some reasons, dams and spillways attract a higher percentage of "fisherman" who don't seem to be concerned about anyone else other than themselves.

I don't think this is specifically an ethnic thing, just guys who are poor sportsmen. I'm not trying to be PC here, it's just one of the reasons I tend not to fish below dams much. That and picking up everyone elses trash.

On another thread I commented about a skiier who passed so close he sprayed me with water. At the launch he gives me this "sorry dude, but that area is a marked skiing path" or something." I was fishing at 7:00 am 15 yards from shore near some nasty wood cover on a Friday morning. Plus, if I was there first he can eat my shorts. I wanted to really rip the guy, but just ended up explaining he was "too close and it was a boating safety issue."

You know if he would have somehow rammed my boat and became seriously injured, I'd probably get sued over it. I have a short fuse and get ticked off easily, but better to just move along sometimes than waste time trying to argue or reason with people who just don't get it.

On many boards, a topic like this quickly becomes locked as folks are paranoid about someone being offended. I appreciate this about the BOC that guys can talk it out and discussions aren't over "policed".

Shawn

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    spillways always seem to have way too many people(at least the ones i fish) they always stay up by the tailwater at rend. good for them. all they're catchin is grinnel, gar, and carp. Maybe the ocassional 1-2#channel.The rend lake spillway isnt worth your time until its really high(which is rare this season.)

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't think I would have taken it as calmly as you did. As a matter of fact, I can garuntee you that he would have understood the error of his ways before I was finished adjusting his attitude!!!!

I don't care what ethnic group, White, Black, Brown, Yellow or Green, People need to respect another persons space.