Carlyle lake in Illinois - What are the best areas

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by drcwaynem, May 23, 2006.

1. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will be camping out at Carlyle this weekend and am wondering if any of you all have an idea where some good spots are on the lake to fish for Cats. I hear that they have Channel and some Flats but I haven't heard of there being any blue's out there (kind of surprising). Went out this past weekend to Baldwin and had only a little luck (tons of baby channels hitting the bait). My son was kind of disappointed. I want my son to really have a good time fishing so it will stay with him for life. Would love for this weekend to be better. I sure could use some advice.

Wayne

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Fish the east/west dam spillway area. Thats the best spot for bank fishing, and remember it all depends on the bait you use as well as to what you will catch. Normally the smaller cats will stick to nightcrawlers, stinkbait, livers. The bigger cats sometimes take longer to catch, but they mainly feed on fish, so either live shad or cut bait will normally work best. So when I normally fish the spillway there, I have one line out with a nightcrawler, and one line out with cut bait or whole shad. If you know how to use a thrownet you can get plenty of shad for the day. Go down by the rope towards the dam and throw the net out right there. If you are good at throwing you should pull in at least 12 every throw.

3. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have fished the spillway for years so I agree with you regarding the fishing there. Now that I have a boat, I waned to start fishing the lake a little also. That is why I am considering up above the dam. Wayne

4. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    for flats try the rip rap area on the lake side of the dam on the rocks some nice flats there lots of snags so try a float setup there live gills for bait. for channels try just about any cove on the lake. fish the inside (deep area) during the day and go shallow at night. cut bait or what ever you prefer stink bait works great for the smaller ones. GOOD LUCK let us know how it goes for you....
    Bondman

5. kramer

kramer New Member

State:
    il
    I have heard drift fishing the keysport part of the lake.

6. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Float cut bait along the rip-rap near the R/R trestle at Keyesport 3-5 ft. deep.
    Good luck!