Carlyle Lake Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by FlatGetter, Apr 27, 2006.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the 78lb state record came from there too. i fished that lake 4 days and caught nothing,lol.

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Most of those Flatheads came from the Kaskaskia River below the dam at Carlyle.

3. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    Yes most of those flats came from the area below the spillway. I have been thinking about heading down that way soon and giving it a try for some flats. They are working on the gates so I dont know how good it will be. the last time I was there the water was being dropped so I can only hope that some nice flats got up there this year.
    Bondman

4. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    those are definitley some nice flatheads.

5. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Do you see the "ten pound white bass" on there? I think that'd be a new world record. Maybe they oughta check their ID on that. :)

6. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    I am going to head to the dam in the morning. east side right up next to the dam (if I can get it with out to many people there) I will take the camera and see what happens...anyone who might get the chance and wants to try for some flats see you there.
    Bondman

7. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It looks like they are taking the fish home:angry: . I wanted to take a trip and fish in between Vandalia and Carlyle lake. But it looks like people are doing too much comercial fishing in that river.

8. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They do have Blues in that part of the Kaskaskia dont they?

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Some nice fish in those pics!

10. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    SAVE YOUR FUEL not a single flathead nor catfish of anykind !!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont think you could have bought a bite for catfish below the dam today..... The water is down again. its at least 4 feet below where it was last week. they are still working on the dam. i did manage to catch some decent sauger down by the swinging bridge.
    well if anyone is doing any good fishing for flats let me know I AM IN NEED OF A FIX BAD !!!!!!!
    Bondman

11. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I fish the east side of the dam all the time. So far this season I have caught alot of channels, white bass, crappie, drum, 6.2 lb gar, 25lb/20lb/10lb big head carp, 9lb common carp, and 1 yellow belly cat. I mainly use nightcrawlers at the dam and cut shad. The fish seem to hit more on the nightcrawlers more than anything though. That and I catch all the crappies/white bass on jigs, and minows.