Carlyle Dam in Illinois - Catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by poopdeck [patrick], Apr 28, 2006.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Good luck bondman. I fished the east side, three or four times a week for years. Let me give you a pointer you will thank me for. You got to be all the way up. Many a times I have waited for hours and hours to get that prime spot. Anyway use a slip float about six feet deep, throw it along the wall the current will drag it right up in there where you want to be. You will increase your catch four or five times than just setting. If you see gino up there ask him to show you, he has seen me do it many a times. good luck.

2. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    Thank you for the pointer I will remember it next time I go. The fish was just turned off today I saw a couple of white bass but not very much size to them. They have a barge parked up against the dam on the east side as a working platform they are working on the dam.
    it should get better soon I hope.
    Bondman

3. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    Heres the scoop on carlyle below the dam. Fish over 5 hrs caught 4 fish 3 asian carp and a buffalo not to bad but I WAS FISHING FOR FLATS just my luck.. No flats for Bondman.. They are dumping the water again it should be turning on anytime now.. tried the float ideal no luck to much water keep washing it out. well I hope my other brother'shad better luck then I did. thought about trying down by the old river channel but just decided to go home instead. it was rough hauling in those big head carp I was all excited when it hit I was like oh my God then it was like what the heck. well sorry the report isnt any better. hows the fishing at shelbyville dam????I must be losing my touch. maybe I should go back to fishing for those :eek:oooh: large mouth fish.:crazy:
    Bondman

4. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I'm thinking about heading either down to the dam at carlyle or over to the dam at alton on Thursday. Anybody got any suggestions on which one i should choose?

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    If you go to Alton, you better have a boat... All you do is get snagged and loose tackle fishing from the bank.. We went to Alton Dam in boat Saterday afternoon about 3... stayed till 7 am Sunday morning, I caught 1, 2lb blue and 3... 7 lb carp, wife caught 1... 7 lb sturgeon and 1... 2lb drum... Nobody was catching anything, not even skipjack or shad...

6. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are using a boat at Carlyle, I suggest fishing the north side of the railroad tracks between the second and third railroad bridge from Keyesport marina. Fish right up against the bank (maybe 1-3 feet from the bank at most). Went there on Saturday morning and caught 8 nice channel ranging from 3-6 lbs. click attachment for pictures. Plus, when I wasn't catching any, there were other fishermen doing the same and just tearing the channel up. All nice size for eating. Went back on Sunday morning with my daughter and she hung into a nice one only it got off before she could get it to the boat. she couldn't handle all the flying insects and BEGGED for me to leave. I did end up leaving and heading back to camp. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck!!!

Wayne

Attached Files:

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Is that over by the stumps or before you get to the stumps at Carlyle

8. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Well, I don't have a boat, so looks like Alton's out. What I'm really wanting to do is hit up a tailrace somewhere. Oh, and I'd like to see what all this asian carp talk is about, we don't have them around here (yet).

Anybody know if the dam at Carlyle will be open Thursday or Friday? If not I may run up to Peoria. I'm not ruling out any possiblities within a reasonable distance of Springfield.

9. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hickshh,

I thought that whole area to the north of the tracks was full of stumps (at least I know I hit one (softly) ) and I was no more than 40 ft from the north bank of the rail road tracks. I'd like to find some good flathead areas to fish up there. If you have any recommendations I am open to hear them. By the way, I caught the majority of the channel's on dip bait. I didn't like using worms because although I did catch some channel's I also caught too many drum.

Wayne

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Wayne... I haven't fished Carlyle from a boat yet.. Just got mine this spring.. But from what I've heard the flats are down by the dam on the lake side, along the ripraff.. It's deep water there.. Everybody says that around the Keysport area you only get channel cats.. But to me there should be a little bit of everything around those stumps at nite..

11. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hickshh,

I am not sure, but you may be right about the flatties near the dam. I think that it would be best to fish for them down there at night though (just what I seem to be hearing at least). But I will take a few 7 lb channels anyday. Flathead's would be nice but I would be satisfied with nice blues and channels.

I may be out at carlyle this saturday evening. Probably head up near 4:00 and fish till about 8:30 or 9:00. Probably head north of the railroad tacks. Was going to go to Alton but I want to go check it out at in the morning instead of the evening.

Wayne

12. trapperboy

trapperboy New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems the onley thing i can do at is get snagged at the dam and the spillway.

justice