Career Changes - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, May 12, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok folks, Ive been in a quandry here for the last several years with my job situation and thought id see if others had any experience or ideas to help me change careers.

Background: 2 years of college, 10 years of technical support, then another 5 years of software Implementation and IT Project Management, including managing Call Center and Support Orgnization. Then, layed off in big scale downsizing from a fortune 500 company, It took a year to get a job making 1/5 of what i used to make and then it took another 6 months to get my present job as a Software Trainer,( less then 1/3 of old pay) I figured I can do this while I keep looking for something else. well here i am 4 years later actually making LESS then whjen I started since there havent been any raises and we all took a paycut since we started. This is where i get all depressed and such. so now I make what I made 16 years ago in my career when I was 24!! Did I mention ther eisnt a day that goes by where Im not Looking for a job? Internet resumes, websites, newspapers, headhunters, networking, trade associations,job fairs, etc, been there, done that)

Ive been looking at some options to do a career change but have to be very careful since me and the wife already live paycheck to paycheck, ( thank god she makes 20k a year more then me!!) so changing to a lesser paying position is NOT an option in any way shape or form. I already havent put anything into my retirement in over 5 years so that is another concern. I might also mention that both me and the wife do a lot of side work for extra cash already, (Im a fishing guide part time and the wife trains horses) so that brings in about 4k a year tax free and really helps. I might add that switching to a full time guide is not an option in our area and the fact that I already travel for my job about 80% keeps me from adding any schooling or taking a job like Real estate/appriasor as a part time gig.
    I keep racking my brain for options becuase here in SW Ohio the jobs are as bad if not worse then most places in the country, moving isnt an option either as me and the wife looked hard for 3 years everywhere else but if you dont live htere, no one wants to talk to you. Plus both fmilies are here and we recently bought a different house since we made the decision to stay here for now.

Im only looking for high 30's k to make a switch and Im open to all avenues so if anyone has any thoughts on where to go, what to do, industries to try, let em fly....

I guess Im just venting more then anything, sort of in my mid life crises I guess.
    Thanks for reading
    Salmonid

2. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I was sort of in your situation at one time. Everyone was telling me to become a truck driver until I could find something else. They make decent $$. But I wanted to be home w/ my kids everyday. But since you travel already I thought maybe that might work for you. It's just an idea for ya. Sorry I can't help ya more and good luck. Keep us posted.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Something That I Have Thought Of Very Often but Don't Really Know How To Put It Into Play, Is Marketing A Product(s) on The Net.

Think About It, People Do It Everyday And They Can Be Somewhere Else At The Same Time Doing Something Else.I'm Quite Sure That Many Of Them Are Merely Reselling Items That Customer's Request & That They Are Drop Shipped From a Supplier W/O Them Ever Having to Physically Handle The Items.

JAT, Elliot

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for the reply Gargoil! Yes, I been looking into that but again, I already travel so much that Id really like to stay around the homestead if you know what I mean. To make any money you have to do about 60+ hrs a week and travel the whole week generally, already looked into it, Plus I got a DVT (Blood Clot) last year from traveling so much so sitting all day is not exactly what my dr's want me to do.Its all fine now but something I need to always keep reminding myself about when I cross my leggs or drive more then an hour somewhere, Im a figity person already so now its worse:embarassed:

Salmonid

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, I hear McCooks in Dayton is hiring! :big_smile:

I am sure Dink could pick you up an application after his shift is up there tonight :big_smile:

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    You stole my idea.

Seriously though, Salmonid, I'll give you $5000 every month if you can deliver a package for me to Columbia. You'll only be gone for the weekend tops, well, sometimes you might be gone for 15 to 25 years. :cool2:

Sorry though, can't help you.

7. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio

Just a thought, when is the Discovery Channel show "Dirtiest Jobs Ever" going to take up the duty of mop boy at McCooks. Hate to take a slip there. :lol:

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mark,

I'm seriously going to be watching this thread as your story sounds ALL TOO FAMILIAR. 1 1/2 years college, 10 years IT background. I'm making now at 30, the same I was when I was 21. Two years ago I finally got back up to what I had made at 21, had dropped as low as $8.00 an hour part time.

I keep considering opening a computer repair business from home.

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Bryan,Chubba, yes, its funny but as I search through the Sunday paper , Yes, the McCook adult Theatre is ALWAYS looking for Janitors. Just be sure to always have my hip boots on :wink:
    Its a shame as to drug money situation as most folks can see how tempting it is to sell drugs but that is out for me, I look like a nark........

Marketing the Internet is still an option Im looking at but again, that market is quite saturated so finding a unique niche is the key.
    Id like to open a fishing shop but again, our market here is Nil, my friend owns the only Fly fishing shop in towna dn he is strugling to feed himself let alone the part time helpers he has, plus it took him 90K in his own money to front the merchandise, something I dont have BTW....

Heres a crazy thought, a friend of mine over the last 4-5 years has been buying .com domains in hopes someone will buy them off of him but so far, he just gets bills for them every year and hasnt sold one yet, he has about 10k invested so if he sells one, he may break even but so far he is waiting.

It seems it takes money to make money, thats a vicious cycle as well isnt it?

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming as Im sure im not the only on ein this situation here.

Salmonid

10. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Mark,
    This may not be exactly what you want to hear but I have to honest with you. You can do exactly ANYTHING you want to do. How you might ask? Goal one is to make a decision on exactly what you want to do. Goal two is then to determine exactly what training or education is required to qualify you for the career. Goal three is to obtain the training/education to get qualified.

You already have marketable skills. I suspect, the good jobs you have applied for require a four year degree to even be considered even though you are experienced and skilled. Therefore, just because you don't meet their qualifications on education, someone with less skill and experience is selected to fill the position. So, what to do? My advise would be to figure out a way to finish up the education. How? What about on-line courses? What about part-time student? How about an education loan? I do understand the travel requirements and lack of free time. However, most colleges will attempt to work with your schedule to allow you to meet class requirements.
    Don't give up!!! It's really up to you and your wife to make this happen. Sometimes sacrafices are required in order to position yourself to succeed.

My wife is a perfect example. She was working part time and only making around 18,000 per year. She decided if she had to work, she needed to finish her education. She was 40 years old and was intimidated by the thought of going back to school with the young folks. She finally made the decision and enrolled. Man I can tell you we suffered for a long time. She graduated with a degree in Nursing at age 44. She is now the Head Nurse in her own clinic. She is making very good money and the suffering is long forgotten. Moral of story, if you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark,

I think the exact opposite of you. I think a small gun shop, bait store would make a killing in my area (Fairborn). Most people hate Dicks Sporting goods & most hate going to Rainbow lakes for bait. My dad had a gun shop in Fairborn years ago & did very well, but his partner got into some trouble & there went the gun shop.

12. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I know you said that classes werent an option, but you may have to make them an option. I know that would mean staying busy with your current job and then classes, but a lot of people do it. You may have to give up some of the pay you're currently earning. Im sure it would be hard, but you have to sacrifice.A higher college degree would open up thousands of options to you. As Salmonid said, "it takes money to make money." Hope that helps, and best of luck to you.

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bryan, if I was to open a Sporting Goods place Id do it in Centerville/Springboro area where there is a lot of upper class folks to suuport high dollar guns with higher markups, but now youll have to carry a small fortune of in stock guns and while there is a good market for serious species specific stuff, dedicated Catfish gear, Crappie, Carp and smallie equipment is where I would put my money. as well as a year round bait shop with seasonal baits when and where applicable. Id also do a bow and handgun indoor range to supplement income as well as try to push a lot of guide trips and classes for training/teaching as ther eis a lot of markup in that 1 v 1 area.
    But then again, if you remember Dayton Sporting Goods down on McEwen road, they went south pretty quick so perhaps the market isnt as strong as you think. Dont forget the Internet is now hurting local business in a bad way.
    Im not trying to be negative here but a lot of research must be done to put up that kind of store.

Salmonid

14. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Finish that degree! My wife had about two years left on hers to complete and she finished in 18 months going once a week to school. We didn't have the money to pay for classes but took out loans to pay for all of the tutition and after graduation consolated the loans into one at only 3%. You don't have to start paying your loan back until your out of school also. We had about 15,000.00 in loans and only pay about 100.00 a month. If that's not a option there always sales. There's all kind of jobs in sales that don't require a degree and many pay a decent starting pay even without a ton of experince.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    whats sad is i knew someone in the past that worked there:big_smile: i know exactly what you mean mark, my previous feild of work (and may still be) used to pay pretty good (sheet metal stamping/fabrication/tool and die) but now your lucky to get $10hr. also my freind who is the controlls engineer is going through this crap as well. he makes 1/3 of what he did compared to just 5 years ago and has to do lots of travelling and OT. i just found out recently that the other feild i received training for is going the same route! if anyone feels safe right now just wait, its coming to your feild of work as well. welcome to the "New Order" of things, someone in the far east or latin America is benefiting from our misfortunes.

16. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I know first hand what Mark is going through.For the past 12 years,I was a senior technician for the worlds largest telecommunication company.After the past several years being surplused or missing the layoff,it finally happened on September 3,2005.Here I am in my late 40's out of a job that paid 60+k a year and did'nt know what to do.I really did'nt wanna go back in that field because you have to keep your nose in a book everyday to keep up with technology,but I did miss the money.They say 'when God closes a door, He opens a window',I realize this is empty consolation for someone like Mark because I know what he is going through.I guess what I'm trying to say is perhap we have to put aside what we've been used to and explore the unusual.I'm not a person to brag because I know there's BOC member's out there whose job's were lost for some reason or another,but speaking from experience.........well,let me share.About a month ago,I was putting item's on Ebay so I can get some money coming in when I got on my UPS account to ship my item's.Out of curiousoty,I clicked on thier 'job' link,filled-out an on-line mini application,got an e-mail 5 min's later to come in for an interview the next day...........to make a long story short,I'm now driving one of those 'big,brown trucks' for UPS.I'm happy,dont have to be technical trained everday(except safety),money is great,and no stress.Like I said before,I'm not bragging by no means,I'm just giving advice that maybe sometimes we need to get out of our comfort zones to find greener pastures.For everyone who is unemployed or just lost a job,I'm praying for ya, I'VE BEEN THERE!

17. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had 20 years in at maytag when they closed shop and went to mexico. (thank you nafta). i had been a machine operator, press operator, heli-arc welder, you name it. i thought this would be the ideal time to start a new career.
    with all the hiring going on with the railroads, i applied at BNSF. they took $10,000 of my nafta retraining money and sent me to conductor school in kansas city. completed the course with a perfect score, dean's list, just kicked a$$. got back to galesburg, failed the physical. carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, ulnar nerve syndrome in left elbow, left shoulder has torn rotator cuff and arthritis.
    so i am now in a battle of lawyers, trying to get healthy enough to go back to work.currently bartending, hoping for a settelment from maytag, trying to get another chance at the railroad. had surgery on my wrists and elbow, waiting for surgery on shoulder.
    so i kind of know what this changing job deal is all about. you just got to keep the faith, things will work out in the long run. sometimes help comes from the most unexpected places.
    GO FISHIN' AND KEEP SMILIN'!!!!!!!!

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I know what its like to struggle. Although I have not suffered a big pay cut in transitionig jobs, I can relate to you. One thing that always serves as power is that education though. There are many ways to get it, even if you have to enroll in online studies. Obtain that higher education, that something that no one can ever take away from you. It will open a lot of doors for you in the future.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark,

To save a big long post, used guns is where you make your money at and as far as being dedicated to one type fishing, such as your freind fly shop, prob isnt going to do real well around here. To be successfull it's going to have to be a mix of lots of thigns. Take a look at places such as Old English, Vandalia Tactacal, etc... You cant find a parking lot to pull into. One of the big expesnes is the inital $ to buy the stock. It's not the $1100 Browning over & under that you sell once a month that makes your money. It's the Bersa .380's for $200, the Taurus .38's for $230, etc, the ones you sell 2 or 3 of per week. Quality over quanity sometimes. Take a look at our state, it's a non rifle state, but what do you see when you go into a lot of the stores? 30.06's, .243's, etc... Now granted some of them can be used for 'yotes, but HANDGUNS is where the $ is, espically w/ the CCW laws being passed faily recent. I would tell ayone to go into Dicks or Walmart's hunting areas & take a look. That is how NOT to run an operation, but they make $ becasue it's one of the few places to go.

When I ran the hunting & fishign dept @ All About Sports, we kicked butt. The key was the golden rule. Treat them how you would want to be treated. I really miss those days sometimes.

To be successfull it's going to tale a lot, you have to have a staff that is just right, someone for hangduns, shotguns, rifles, bow, bass fishing ($ maker), panfish, catfish, etc.... In other words It's going to take $$$$$$$, some $$$$$, a few $$$$$$, then some more$$$$$$, espically to get started. I know it sort of sucks.

20. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    You guys that have this modem down might want to think about checking out your nearest hospital(s). Insurance claims, referrals, a host of computer work is usually available. The reason you don't hear much in the news papers is the hospitals offer most of their jobs "in house". My middle daughter has worked for Providence Medical for about 15 years now. Medicine is Big Biz.
    Don