Care and feeding of Penn 209

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by metalfisher, Jun 23, 2006.

1. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My son just bought me a used 209 off Ebay.

I removed the line and found corrosion and pitting not visible with the line on the spool. There was also pitting on all the chrome areas around the front of the reel.

I totally disassembled and cleaned the reel, buffed and smoothed out the pitting and as much as possible. The reel now works fine.

To prevent this from happening to your reel, this is what I would recommend for any fishing reel going into storage for long period of time.

Flush the reel off with fresh water, especially if it has been around salt water. Peel the line down about 1/2" and clean both sides of the spool.

Spray a cloth with Silicon lubricant and wipe all surfaces. Using a clean paper towel, hold the line as you rewind it. This will dry and clean the line as it goes back on the spool.

A little TLC goes a long way!!!

Robert

2. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Yes sir a little TLC and that 209 should be all the reel you ever need. I have four of them and all work just as good as the day I bought them. I fish the Columbia River and the Pacific Ocean and all points in between. You must remember to get that salt water off your reel and your line. A lot of people clean their reels and polish them up but forget about the line. Good Post!!
    Don

3. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    That is a good point Hans..

My son's 209 has small disc that look like Drimel cutting wheels.

My reel has leather discs.

I wonder which came first?

Robert

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Robert I have a 209 that is at least 35 years old and I never did clean or oil it and I fished salt and fresh water with it for over 30 years.About 4 years ago my hand sliped off the rod while I was drift fishing below a dam.I hung up in the rocks and my finger went between the real side and the levelwind when the reel couldn't play out line it ripped out the livelwind gears,it hurt so much I couldn't get my finger lose and Jtrew had to help.I did clean it when I did the repairs.I have other reels but this one is the best.