Cards lose veteran, maybe more.

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Wabash River Bear, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The great multi gold glove Jim Edmonds will no longer be dominating the center field wall at Busch, traded for a 3rd basemen. Could Scotty Rolen be the next vet to move on? Thats the latest rumor, at least I hope thats all it is.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If they get rid of Rolen they may as well close up shop.Edmund ask to be traded to a Calif team so I heard. Don't blame him .As banged up as that man is playing hurt all the time can't say I blame him for wanting to finish out his career close to home. Birds need to go get some good pitchers if they want to compete with the rest of the teams.Got the hitters ,just no pitching to speak of. Hurry up SPRING TRAINING!!

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I think Rolen will be gone soon. We definitely need to bring in some solid pitching. An ace is probably out of our price range, but a couple of solid number 2 or 3 guys will help tremendously. As for pitching and defense, I think we'll be okay with what we have, as long as we get a steady influx of fresh minor league talent.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with the above posts, If they are going to compete they had better get some pitchers.

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    rolen is no longer the guy we need. he is still amazing defensively, but i think i would rather deal with a scott spezio or brenden ryan, and get a couple of pitchers who can at least win 15 games. as for edmonds, its the same deal. hes great but he doesnt have the bat. rick ankiel should be at least descent enough for a replacement. especially with a ryan ludwick and a chris duncan. as you can see the cards are getting a lot younger and that is a plus for them, since these guys have such good bats.

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If we don't come up with some pitching,nothing else really matters. I wasn't really upset to see Edmonds go. Seems like he can't stay healthy enough to really help us,especially with his bat. I would really hate to see Rolen go,but he's a lot like Edmonds, in that it seems like he is always injured. As I said earlier,if we don't get some decent starting pitching it really doesn't matter. My only concern is why can't we get something in return when we make a trade. What did we get for Edmonds? It'll be interesting to see spring training roll around and see how it all shakes out.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    one thing we did get in the edmonds trade was that much money to use on some pitching(hopefully)

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hope they use the money to go get some pitching,and I don't mean someone else's rejects,but some GOOD pitching. I'm getting tired of hearing that we can't afford to go out and get top notch pitching. If other teams can do it,I just don't understand why we can't spend some money and get some GOOD pitching. I've played the game enough and coached it enough to know that you're not going to compete with mediocre pitching.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    we just built a brand new stadium. that could be part of it.plus we had money tied up in carpenter and mulder who both werent even pitching. we put a lot of hope last year in some guys who either got hurt or just underperformed.