Cardiff or ABU???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kjcat, Jun 15, 2006.

1. kjcat

kjcat New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hope you guys can help. I am going to order another reel tomorrow, and I'm torn. I want a reel to be able to easliy handle 30-50lb. flatty's and I am thinking about a Shimano Cardiff 400 or an Ambassadeur Trophy 6500TC.

I am a die hard Shimano guy, but I hear some good stuff about the ABU's, also I never really specifically bought a reel with a clicker and for baitfishing. Heck I'm use to our steelhead were we use 4lb. test on a noodle rod for 8-14lb. fish.

Anyway, any advise on those 2 would be greatly appreciated. I would love a calcutta but a little too much $ for right now.

Oh yea I'm thinking about matching it up with a 7"6" Heavy action Quanum "Big Cat" E-glass rod.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would go with the ABU, I would also consider stepping the size up to a 7000..But I did catch a 50-lb flathead on a abu 6500.

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I would go with the Cardiff. The Abu guys wont like this,but the only reel that Abu makes that will compete with Shimano and Daiwa is the "Record".The Cardiff is gonna have better gears,a better drag and the overall quality is gonna is gonna be better. Now if you were trying to decide between the Abu Record and the Cardiff,i would say the Record.

4. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I gotta agree, the Shimano is the better reel between the two. Also, I would suggest getting the Big Cat in Med/Hvy, not Heavy. I've caught my share of flatheads over 50 lbs and blues almost 70 lbs, and have yet to see the need for the Heavy rod. I actually preferred the Med, but they quit making them.

5. kjcat

kjcat New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    THANKS!!! for the info. I did end up ordering the 400 Cardiff, I have always been a shimano guy, hard habbit to break.

I tried getting th med / heavy cat pole with no luck they were out, so I ended up getting an ugly stick tiger

Thanks for the help!

Keith

6. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Im with flathunter on this one listen to this guy he has a lot of knowledge to share.

7. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Visit some other big game fishing forums and it should be easy to see how the cheaper Shimanos (anything other than the Calcuttas) compare to the Abu's.

8. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    me too,and the levelwind gear is plastic for safety reasons.

9. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico

I agree step up to a abu 7000. It will last a long time too.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I was recently sponsored with 3 shimano 400's..they will cast like the dickens and have a good drag system....only had them a couple of months ....they tend to back off the side screws so watch that..I have 9 various abu's also..I really like the shimano reels.

11. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    abus last forvere.and are bullet proof and parts are easy to find and affordable. considere ythat