Carbontex vs Smoothie vs Xtreme Smoothie.....?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Capn Crunch, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    I'm contemplating upgrading the drags in my Abus. Well, not just contemplating, I'm going to do it, I just haven't decided which drags to get yet.

I have a 6500C4 with the Carbontex and they're miles ahead of stock. The reels I have on the line to be torn down and serviced are a 5500C, 5500C3, and a 6500C. All three are the older models with black handles frames, spools, and drag stars. I'm probably going to do some other minor upgrades and changes while they're apart for cleaning (play with gear ratios, maybe upgrade the levelwind to bearing type on one of them, perhaps add clickers to the 5500's, etc.)

The question I have, though, is I'm not sure which drags to go with. I'll probably put Carbontex in the 6500C, but I was contemplating trying Smoothies or Xtreme Smoothies for the 5500's. One of the 5500's usually wears 12# mono and works as a bass, panfish, and channel "do-it-all" reel that I keep in the truck for those "hey, that looks like a good spot" moments, and the other 5500 normally wears 20# mono for dedicated catting and stripers.

Has anyone used all three of the drags? I was hoping for a real world comparison between the three levels and what you like or dislike about each. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

2. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Have you read this post on super tuning reel? I used it on mine it made a big difference on casting and reeling. Just add this to your list while your at it you will not be disapointed.
    super tuning reels ([​IMG] 1 2)
    rrssmith

3. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    i just replaced the drag washers on all my 6500 reels 6000 reels and even my 5000 i went with the carbontex. the lady told me the were the best. and at 9 bucks a reel figured the xtra 4 bucks a reel would give me a piece of mind...:big_smile:

4. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    Interesting link, Ray, thanks.

Thanks Charles, I've read their website which also says Carbontex is "best." Hopefully someone that has used all three will share their opinions on them.