Carbontex or Smoothy drags

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Cuda, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Ok how many have used them? And how do you like them? Or the smoothy drag washers? What difference in the amount of drag did it increase before it slips? I am thinking about trying them in a Skakespeere reel. If I can get someone to measure the washers. I need to know the inside dia. and the outside dia. of the Abu drag washers. If they are close I will order them and give them a try. I would like to know what everyone think of them before I do first. Thanks for any help! Mike

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Your drag is there to protect your tackle, not just your line, and when it gives, nothing gets broken.

If you hotrod the drag on a reel that was not designed for that, and then screw it down hard...see where this is going?

I'm not saying it will happen, but it's a possibility you need to consider.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i got the carbontex in my 6000 and its great it increased the smoothness and max drag 150% from around 10#s to around 15#s. i installed some smoothies in a 209 for a frind who got a junk 209 for free, they were pretty dang smoothe i didnt get to fiddle with it too mutch but they seemed like a great buy for i think it was $4 shipped Id love to put some in my 220gtos because imo there drags suck. ill have to take them apart and see if they dont have some excess lube on them because they are not verry smoothe. as far as what ones will fit your reel contact smoothe drag they should be able to tell you.

4. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Early last year when I cleaned my reels, I upgraded all of my older abu garcias with carbontex drag washers. I couldn't believe how strong and smooth the drags were. It was well worth doing the upgrades, and I would recommend them to anybody. Like kscathunter said contact smooth drag, and they will help you out.

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I use both in my Squidders and Jigmasters and they are both very nice products.

6. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    What no one can just measure the drag washers for me? All I really need is the measurements. And then I will order them. I do not want to order them and not fit. I just can back from Cabelas fastest $212.00 I have spent in a while 1200yds of 30# line and alot of hooks king kat 10/0 and 11/0. Also some 8/0 and 6/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks. A box of 100 7/0 hooks some beads and 2 bass lures and one big fish slider float. And brick of 22 shells just does not seem like a lot for that price. Now if I can find some one to measure drag washers from a Abu reel. Then maybe I will update my reel not a Abu. Trying to get it ready for ice out have some open water but not over the holes.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    All i got right now to measure them is a ruler. the drag washers i took out of my 6000 are about 2.1cm outside dia .8cm inside hole and 1.6cm and .8cm for the drag washer under the gear. should have saved your money and not bought the king kat hooks.

8. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for your reply! That is what I needed to know looks like they will do the job. Not a perfect match but close enough to work. For the big boys I ordered a lever drag reel it holds 300 yds of 20 ld line. I plan on using 50 or 60 lb line on it for flatheads. That way I can set the drag and clicker light for when they run. Then all I have to do slide the lever to set the circle hook. That way the line stays tight at all times.