Carbon

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by zappaf19, Oct 31, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I think I have a stuck ring on #1 cyl out of 6. Old merc tower of power. I was told that if I put in ONE ounce of tranny fluid to my gas it will get rid of the carbon fast. Will trany fluid wash down the cyl walls or put the hurt to my motor?
    Bill

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Bill put in some Ring Free by Yamaha or any other good carbon remover.Don't use shade tree techniques, most shortcuts end up with a long trip to a mechanic.The old days are gone and there are plenty of quality products made specifically to do the job available today.I'm sure Merc has a good carbon remover or use the Power Tune in a can that the Manufacturers make.:smile2:

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    What makes you think you have a stuck ring?

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    #1 piston is @ 93 lbs. If I remember right it has to have 91lbs to work. I borrowed a scope from a friend and saw no scapes on the wall. Cyl.s 2 thru six are 120 lbs to 125 lbs. Those walls are clean also. The only bad running plug is #1. Keep in mind that cyl.s 1 and 2 run off the same carb so if the setting was bad cyl 2 should be messed up too. Right? Maybe I'm just hopeing it's carbon sticking the rings so I dont have to take it apart.
    Bill