Carbon,Glass or Graphite rods witch is better and why?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bipolarguy, Sep 29, 2008.

1. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Look to get a new rod for flathead and i fish from the bank only,what type of rod toget any ideas?.also should it be spinning or casting?.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Kevin,,

I think that you would be better off with e-glass bait cast rod in the 10 ft. area. The e-glass can take more abuse then the rest of the rods except straight fiberglass. I myself prefer Shakespeare but there are several makes out there that are just as good .Just shop around and maybe you will find a good deal

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i've had no problems with glass rods have had one now for at least 25 years still going strong i did buy a new graphite rod a week ago so far so good, alot of guys here use casting reels although i like spinning reels i guess just go with what feels good to you

4. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Depends on how heavy your looking for.

Personally I like composite rods in the 7' size.
    Meaning they have both Fiberglass and graphite.
    Makes them stiffer than pure glass, but not a brittle as pure graphite.

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    it really makes no diff to me about the polls

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I like Glass rods for cat fishing . Because they are tough and strong. I use
    graphite for Bass fishing and ultru-light fishing.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i agree e-glass is a popular choice for catting its tough (abuse) like fiberglass but with a little spring & lighter like graphite. shakespeare uses composite to get theise properties. if you wanna cut out the guess work steve at catfish safari has a Flathead Rod... that i want to get soon his rods are top shelf:wink:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    How much are you willing to spend? Does whatever you are willing to spend have to cover a new reel as well?
    You could easily put $250 into this rig or you could get away with less than $100
    There is nothing wrong with carbon or glass, casting or spinning as long as you get the right stuff. It all starts with the budget...W

9. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    It is still down to what feels Best to YOU! While a True Glass rod will be the most forgiving and the Graphite rod will be the Lightest, the Composite rod will give the best of both. The Care required to maintain the usability of the rod is also a consideration. A Glass rod will TAKE Abuse, but a Graphite rod must be carred for in much more detail. The Composite rod can provide you with a Happy Medium that is lighter than Glass, but sturdier than Graphite. JMHO!!!!!!

HOPPY4

10. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well i decided i bought a carbon composite 11ft blank so ill post pics when im done building it.again thanks for the info.