Carbon Arrows $

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I bought the cheapest arrows at BPS. They have there brand from 50 for a dozen to 120 for half a dozen. There all carbon. What the hay? I understand the diff for diff pound draws, other than that ,Why?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Straightness and weight tolerance.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    all carbon arrows are not the same.the heavier the weight of your bow the thicker the wall of the arrow is.this makes the arrow stiffer and heavyer to accomidate the heavy poundage of your bow.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I understand the difference for pound weight 250 vs.350, whats the difference in $. Myself I aintpaying a lot more just for the camo. Ya cant see it coming at ya even in hot pink.

5. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the 250 and 350 is the grain weight of the arrow per full shaft, and no camo dont mean anything but more money every good carbon arrow i bought has been black. but to me its one of those things you get what you pay for i spend about 60 to 110 bucks for arrows i bought twelve four years ago just broke the last one a week ago i payed somewhere between 60 and 70 bucks for them they were goldtip ultralight 400s i switched to ARROW DYNAMICS NITRO STINGERS IN GOLD LABEL there made in Kansas and they are way better and cost around or under 100 bucks a dozen there are more expensive arrows out there but ive seen what the STINGERS will go through and i myself will never buy another brand as long as there still out there. I have stuck both GOLD TIPS AND THE STINGERS IN TREES WHILE TARGET SHOOTING walked up and pulled them out and went back to shooting there both great arrows but start out with one and upgrade later if u want or need be

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My factors come into play for the price difference in arrows. Straightness tolerance, composite materials, finish,etc.

Way back when, Wooden arrows were all that was available. Straightness was an issue and warpage due to moisture contact. Today we can purchase Aluminum, Carbon, Alum x Carbon, Carbon x Alum, Graphite Composite, Wooden (Cedar) and others.

Most of us are caught in the Carbon arrow age, where lightness, arrow speed and strength are key. Aluminum arrows are still straighter, but can bend easily and then can be straightened to some extent. Carbon are stronger and less liable to break, but can splinter when impacting hard targets, like bone on animals. Always check the meat carefully when dressing the animal after harvest. Carbon splinters can be present!

I really like the FULL METAL JACKETS from EASTON. They are a Carbon inner shaft and a Aluminum outer shaft. They imact hard and are very straight. They offer the 3-d shooter easy removal from the target. I've seen arrows cost up to $300 per dozen, like the Easton X10 arrows. Many Olympic archers prefer these for their lightness and straightness.

Mark..

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I shoot alum 2413 with 100 gr. 2 blade heads. I like the hevier weight when hunting. I shot gold tips when they first came out but they eat the shrink wrap off my TM hunter style rest. By the way, anyone ever paint their prongs with finger nail polish to reduce friction? Mines hot pink:smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I know plenty of guys doing this. Maybe try puchasing ceramic prongs for the rest. They're quite and durable. Last longer to!! I prefer using mole skin or felt cut to the size of the prongs. Cheap alternative and it is very quiet!

9. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    The difference is straightness and weight tolerance, i use gold tip pro hunter which have a guarenteed straightness of +/-.001" and weight tolerance of 1 grain per 12.IMO this is the best arrow on the market.they run about $120 a dozen for bare shafts.DON'T GO CHEAP ON ARROWS a good arrow will improve your groups greatly.i have my bow set at 66lbs so i use the 5575 carbon shafts that are 8.2 grains per inch.good luck hunting!!

http://www.goldtip.com/

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Same thing I use. Love them!

11. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The goldtip ultralights i shot wer target arrown and i like them a lot, a whole lot actually but they dont hold a candle to the Arrow Dynamics Nitro Stingers. Even if you shoot something else check them out nitro-stinger.com. I dont know to many places to buy these arrows the only place around me that sells them is ULTRA ARCHERY LTD. They have a web sight but its for dealers only. I agree with everybody including Uncle Ted about goldtip arrows there awesome. I have heard that goldtip moved most of there production to Mexico, I really dont care but the stingers are made in the states which makes them even better imo. I also agree dont skimp on price but hey everybody starts somewhere and moves up, thats what i did.

nitro-stinger.com

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i just bought a dozen graphite

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The one thing about BPS is most of there branded items are made by major manufacturers. My bow is made by Diamond, my flyrod is a Sage blank, etc... who knows who makes the arrow blanks for the arrows I have. I need to keep shooting and learning first and make sure that everything is setup correctly and that my draw length is good.I appreciate all the imput folks. Im a sponge at this point. :wink: