Carbon arrows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by riverdawg-1, Oct 31, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Does anybody know a good way to cut carbon arrows? I was thinking maybe a dremmel tool type thing or something.
    Chip

2. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    you have to use a high speed cutting tool... (such as a dremel tool)

additionally I would strongly recommend that you do this outdoors as the dust gets on everything and does not come off very easily. Also wear a mask when doing it, breathing in carbon dust can't be good for you.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A fiber cutting disc is the way to go.

4. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I wouldn't do it your self without an arrow saw. I would go to an archery shop and have them use an arrow saw. It's cheap. You don't want any imperfections in your cut because carbons will splinter. A buddy of mine had one break on release and went through his hand. What a mess.

5. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    good points Big B... the best bet is to probably take it to a shop and have them do it for you.

although a high speed dremel tool is the same tool used by the shops to cut your arrows.... they have a jig that is designed to cut the arrow in one swipe at a perfect 90 degree angle.... thus reducing the chance of anything bad happening with that arrow.

6. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    wow its been along time sense ive been here good topic i had one carbon snap this year after the deer ran between two trees but other than that have never had a problem

7. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you are intent on cutting them yourself, I'd say to cut them like a graphite golf club shaft. Get a set of rubber vise jaws with a v groove in them. clamp the arrow with about an inch overhang out of the vise. Tape the cut with masking tape. Use a dremel, rotozip zipmate, or an angle grinder with a brand new cutoff wheel.

8. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Use a arrow saw or you will never get your heads square if you try to cut them freehanded.

9. dcoynut

dcoynut New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree with carp killer.....