Caramel Corn

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Haven't bought your Halloween candy yet for the trick-or-treaters? COOL. Make this homemade treat instead! It's still SWEET, but at least you know they'll be getting a l'il protein and fiber :wink:.

Caramel Corn

3 quarts of popped corn
    1 1/2 cups roasted shelled peanuts
    1 cup of brown sugar (packed)
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1/4 cup light corn syrup
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda

Put popped corn and peanuts in a brown grocery bag. Mix brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt in a bowl you can use in the microwave. Microwave on high 3 to 4 minutes, stirring after EVERY minute until it comes to a boil. After mixture comes to a boil, microwave 2 more minutes and add soda. Stir in the soda and immediately pour mixture over the popcorn and peanuts in the bag. Fold down the end of the bag and put into the microwave, microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Shake the bag real good and put back into the microwave for another 1 1/2 minutes. Remove and pour out contents immediately into large pan. Some may stick to the sides of the bag and you will need to scrape this off. Delicious!

2. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Sounds yummy! Dang.. Yummy is too short to post. Sounds yummy and sticky! LOL

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds scrumpdillyishus! But you gotta be a LOT older than your picture looks; maybe even as old as me, cuz folks don't let their kids eat homemade Halloween candy anymore, unless it's from a close, trusted friend or relative. I can remember getting stuff as a kid that had to be eaten right then, rather than being put into a bag. Like a slice of pie or cake. But these days, I wouldn't let my grandkids eat anything that wasn't still sealed from the manufacturer. So, even candy corn is out, unless it's sealed in separate packages. But to give you an idea of how old I am, I remember several blocks of the secondmost main street in town being closed off for Halloween so everyone could walk up and down in their costumes--sorta like a big block party. Those have been 'out' for so long that they're beginning to come back 'in'.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yep, I'm old enough to remember getting lots of homemade treats dropped into my burlap bag :wink:. Uh.....I mean plastic punkin'. Wonder if it was painted with lead paint :eek:oooh:? Honestly Jer, I didn't think about people not letting children eat stuff folks made themselves anymore. Guess my suggestion at this point would be: make it for the church carnival or for friends/family as you mentioned. I don't have children or grandchildren, but if I did I wouldn't trust individually wrapped candy either. I'm also old enough to remember the FIRST time some kids around here ended up chewing on sewing needles that had been inserted into miniature candy bars. And the sickos have only gotten worse over time. It makes me so :sad2: that parents these days have to get their children's "treat" sack x-rayed.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like a winner tanya,thx for sharing!