Car starter doesn't work after running?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by rocky357, Mar 11, 2009.

1. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Hey, I've got an old diesel Mercedes Benz 300D. Great car, its got over 300K on it and I very rarely have to do any work to it.

I've noticed recently since its been warm that after I run the car for a while it won't start? I can hear the ignition trying to engage my starter but the starter won't turn over? Once the car has cooled off the starter works fine? Works fine in the morning and after its been sitting at work all day, it starts up fine. But if you run it for half an hour and try to restart it, nothing? Could it be something else besides the starter?

Thanks for your help. Mercedes mechanics around here charge 150 an hour! Thank goodness the car its easy to work on.

2. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    check and see if you have a bad battery . it might be too weak to turn over a warm,hot engine, make sure some one does a load test on the battery.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Solenoid!

Mean while don't turn it off:wink:
    ...W

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd say a solenoid also.

5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If this starter and solenoid have never been replaced in the lifetime of the car, I'd suggest doing it and getting it over with for your own peace of mind. Probably the battery too. I wouldn't wait until it makes me walk home from the lake.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Or an even WORSE HORROR!!!!!!! Breaking down on the way TO THE LAKE!

7. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    hi there,
    i think its your starter. If you hear a click and the starter doesnt turn over,then the solenoid is engaging . What happens is over time, heat ,and wear the starter loses its ability to insulate properly and the windings begin to break down. Thats why you see people with those high performance header engines use heat shields. I would replace both the starter and solenoid if the solenoid is around(on top) of the starter. Otherwise just replace starter and see what happens. hope this helps.

8. leftemptyhanded

leftemptyhanded New Member

State:
    St.Joseph,Missouri
    i have an 86 ford bronco ive had for about a year and a half this also happened to me put up with it for long enough.i took it to my buddys shop last week thinking just to replace the cylenoid and we checked everything turned out we just replaced the starter every since its been runnin like a top hope this helps yeah

9. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    sounds like your starter is getting weak, be sure and pull the battery cables and clean them and try it before buying a starter, i know most auto parts stores will check your battery for free also, and the starter, may just be a bad connection at the cables though, check those first

10. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Sounds like the starter is getting hot then wont work. Solenoid is usually the problem. Usually its easier to just replace the whole starter since you have to drop it out to get to the solenoid.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    it is the silonoid old chevys was bad for this replace it and you should be good to go

12. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Guys, Thanks for all your help. I'm replacing the starter this weekend.

Thanks again

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I do believe that the starter will solve your woes. It won't do any good to bench test it, since the problem occurs hot.

Those old diesel Mercedes are very reliable & I'm willin' to bet it's the original starter:wink:

14. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    you know it! I love that old car. Just about everything is original on the old girl.

I got rid of a SUV and bought it when gas was getting really high. Now I put that 400 bucks a month for a car payment in my pocket!

Thanks guys for all your help.

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    starters dragging its wore out the bushings in it wears out and lets the armature drag put a new one on it